Most recent Estate find. (very pic heavy)

Atamis

just wanted to share the last estate sale I went to for some surplus. It was a bit of a mystery what all was in it, but I knew I wanted that helmet. I got this lot for $65 beleive it or not. Everything was shoved inside the patrol bag except the helmet, and everything inside it looked brand new. 

One Vietnam era M1 helmet. Have not identified the unit insignia painted on the side yet. 

A nearly complete Patrol pack set up with double belt and suspenders. The only part I'm really missing is the shovel and a few more ammo pouches. 

One rubber poncho

One mosquito net. I have not been able to identify this model yet. I've seen plenty that suspend by the four corners, but this one comes to a point as if it was designed for a shelter half. 

Two canteens

Two canteen covers with an extremely soft fuzzy inside

One canteen cup

One mess kit (sans utensils)

USN wet weather coat (small, sadly. Won't be abel to wear this)

USN wet weather pants (XL, can probably use this as a boat, yikes.)

A bivy cover of some sort. Feels like a cheap fabric. no markings on it. 

And three caps. Top is clearly for a field jacket, the other two I have no idea about. Middle one has large ear cutouts for some headset, so i presume its either a pilots or vehicle crew member cap. The Bottom one seems commercial. I have no info on it other than it is really warm and does its job well, but you do look silly in it. 

And the weirdest of all. 9 records. all teaching you how to beep in morse code. 

I also won about 8 canvas tool bags full of rando junk (and some very good tools). Still cleaning them out. The tools were a bonus. I just wanted the bags. 

IMG_20210507_124947003.jpg

IMG_20210508_180145148.jpg

IMG_20210508_180158355.jpg

IMG_20210508_180204484.jpg

IMG_20210508_180211683.jpg

IMG_20210508_180303784.jpg

IMG_20210508_180641685.jpg

IMG_20210508_180725842.jpg

IMG_20210508_180900369.jpg

IMG_20210508_182358594.jpg

IMG_20210507_110125507_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210507_110042974.jpg

IMG_20210507_150759557.jpg

IMG_20210507_125230673.jpg

Two units come to mind for the insignia on the helmet. One of the Brigades of the The 5th Infantry Division or the 1/92nd Field Artillery "Red Devils"

The 'Red Devils' nickname of the 1/92nd FA (bravecannons.org)

35 minutes ago, doyler said:

I don't know the name of the deceased from the Estate sale. I'll see if i can't find some information. I'll give them a call when I do and see if they can add anything to the story. 

3 hours ago, doyler said:

Two units come to mind for the insignia on the helmet. One of the Brigades of the The 5th Infantry Division or the 1/92nd Field Artillery "Red Devils"

Actually the whole division were "Red Devils" at least when I was one 85-87,  Scott.

The 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Division was the “Go Devils”. They were in country in Vietnam

I heard back from the admin of the Bravecannons. posting it below. 

The name hes referring to here is a partial i found scribbled onto the webgear. I can only make out "we" but it looks like a 4 letter name Rowe was my guess. 

"Wow! I haven't seen one of those in about 51 years! That's us...our website is www.bravecannons.org and our combat call sign and battalion emblems at base camp and our forward Command Post in Dak To was Red Devil. My Bn CO, Nelson Thompson, Red Devil 6, was the Artillery Commander for the 24th Special Tactical Zone, the first zone to be "de-Americanized", before the term "Vietnamization" was coined in September of 1969, well after we had become the only US troops operating without US ground force support in Vietnam.

Visit our website - we have a pretty complete history there. I'll check our membership rolls and see if I can puzzle anything else out. Helmets were heavy, and most didn't wear them unless we were taking incoming...a regular occurrence at times. As far as the name is concerned, one of my early friends in the unit was from Idaho Falls, Idaho. His Name was Lon Bowne...some similar letters there.

I'm curious as to how someone would have recognized that emblem this far down the road - that has me very interested!

Gunn Haydon

President, 1/92 Field Artillery Association Vietnam"

6 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Excellent find.

What did you tell Mr Haydon about recognizing the emblem?

I only mentioned I was directed to his unit by another. I was going to send him a thank you letter and explain more as he was interested after all. 

Incredible find!  Gear used in Vietnam is hard to come by. Most of it is “Vietnam era” but never went overseas