Terry Morris Hawk 3370

Baker502

Learned last night of the passing of forum member and highly decorated veteran Terry Morris. He was a well respected WWI aviation collector. A friend to anyone who met him. You will be missed Sir!

Blue Skies Hawk 33

312CFF17-8D7B-49B6-83D8-2227E2DBA88B.jpeg

uscollector

It was an honor to know Terry. My family met him at a militaria show years ago and he was particularly helpful to our two sons who were young collectors at the time. We last saw him at a militaria show in Montgomery, AL about a year and a half ago and had a pleasant visit with him. He was an extremely knowledgeable and gracious person and a true war hero.

Blacksmith

Wow, "highly decorated" is right.  Rest in peace Major.

From his obituary:  "Maj (Ret) Terryl R. Morris Major Morris passed away May 11, 2021. He entered th US Army after graduating from high school in 1963 and serve an enlisted man with the 82nd Airborne Division and 10th Special Forces Group, attaining the rank of SSG. He attended the Warrant Officer Flight program class 67-25 and 68-501 and upon graduation was immediately assigned to the 240th Assault Helicopter Company, Bear Cat, RVN flying the UH-1H and UH-1C helicopters. Towards the end of his first tour he was promoted to CW2 in the morning and later that same day was recalled to HQ and presented with a direct Commission to 2LT. He returned to Ft. Wolters as an instructor and after a year returned to Vietnam being assigned to D Company, 101st Aviation Battalion, 101st Airborne Division flying the AH-1G Cobra. During his two tours in Vietnam, he was shot down 7 times and flew over 1800 combat hours. He earned the Silver Star, Bronze Star, 4-Distinguished Flying Crosses with valor, 4-Purple Hearts, 53 Air Medals, three with V Device. ARCOM with V and several misc. I've been there medals. After Vietnam, he commanded units in the 82nd Airborne Division and Special Forces. He was a qualified paratrooper in both the US Army and the German Army. He retired in 1988 after 25 years of service, and went in to Law Enforcement retiring after 20 years as the Assistant Chief of Police in Phenix City, Alabama. Major Morris is predeceased by his wife, Virginia Morris and survived by his son, Howard and daughter, Tara-Sue, four sisters, Barbara Sturgeon, Erica Morris-Zahrt, Peggy Denney, Melody Arcilla, his Uncle Cecil Moore and six grandchildren. A Celebration of Life Funeral Service will be held at 12:30pm Monday, May 17, 2021 in Lakewood Hall at Striffler-Hamby, Phenix City, AL. Burial with Military Honors will follow at Fort Mitchell National Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 11:00 A.M. - 12:30 P.M. Monday prior to the service."

It just doesn't seam fitting that a man like this just goes away one day.

I wish I could have known him.

RIP, Sir.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Noooo! I can't believe I missed this post! Damn. A great man, patriot, veteran and a key figure in aviation history. You will be missed, sir!!!

Croix de Guerre

Ya'll need to buy his book.  Rest in Peace Terry

United States Army Air Service Wing Badges - Uniforms and Insignia 1913-1918 
author Terry R. Morris, Major USA, Ret 
This book is an essential reference for U.S. WWI Army wing collectors. It is a fabulous reference with over 70 wings, collar insignia and sleeve insignia displayed. The author describes each item in great detail and gives the reader what to know about restrikes. This book is out of print but can sometimes be found through the on-line book sellers in their out of print sections. It also may be available from the publisher: Scott A. Duff Publications 

usaas1913-18.html.jpeg