***** Kilroy was here *****

zitocland

hi'

Are there pictures of this drawing...?

I speak of course of period photographs showing the design during the ww2.

thanks in advance

david

kilroywashere.jpg

I haven't any photo's, but the story I heard on Kilroy was that he was a beachmaster and as he inspected cargo to be loaded aboard ships he would mark his name as "Kilroy was here" to show that that piece of cargo was inspected and OK to load.

Can anyone confirm this story?

Probably not, there's tonnes of them. Rumour has it, Allies painted it on walls near the beginnings of towns they'd captured, so that if another unit or something came by, they would know it was safe to enter the town, and it was under friendly control. I believe last time i looked at it on Wikipedia, the legit one, was about some guy who worked at the dockyards, whos job it was, to check every single rivet was done properly etc, and after he finished the job, he would mark his name off 'kilroy was here' for the next person to come along and pick up where he left off. Something along those lines, was awhile ago i looked. Apparently this Kilroy fellow took it to some court and had multiple witnesses to his story etc, hinting he was the true creator of it all. But i can't even count the number of different stories ive heard of this, on both hands. Even if this bloke did create it, it easily could have spread around and have been used for multiple different things, by multiple people.

Was the first photo posted on this thread from the WW2 Memorial in DC? My friend who works at the Mall watched the Memorial being built and said the Kilroy image was added to it and hidden on the back or somewhere. Has anyone found it?

Steve

Was the first photo posted on this thread from the WW2 Memorial in DC? My friend who works at the Mall watched the Memorial being built and said the Kilroy image was added to it and hidden on the back or somewhere. Has anyone found it?

Steve

It is there, I found it when I visited a long while ago. Can't find my picture though.

Steve

Here's a bunch of info on that source of all knowledge (sometimes correct, sometimes not) Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_Was_Here

And the photo does seem to match their image from the WW2 Memorial.

Here is my Kilroy.

Its hard to see, but the base says Kilroy Was Here.

Attached image(s)

Attached Image

My wife just shook her head and walked away when I bought my first one like that, at least I thought it was funny.

This is the closet i could find in my personal collection of photos, Taken somewhere in Japan during the war.

KILROY "DRANK" HERE

post-633-1233698503.jpg

post-633-1233698680.jpg

Carey

• 1 month later...