US soldier in French service during ww1?

Wally6

Hello everyone, a supposed ww1 uniform has popped up for sale and has numerous French awards on it, I was wondering if it was possible/how likely it would have been for a US soldier to have been awarded this medals. In the photo I labeled the ribbons I've been able to identify so far. Any other help/comments would be much appreciated 

Screenshot_20210511-192144_Instagram.jpg

There are instances of US personnel who spent the entire war with European units.  Mainly Medical, but some other speciality services such as Air Service.  

Some served in voluntary organizations (such as AFS, Norton-Harjes, Lafayette Escadrille, etc) and then transferred into US service in April 1917.  Still others were of European descent and served with those nations before the US got into the war, then transferred over.  A tiny number of Europeans (often with specialty skills), after serving with Americans, also found they had an affinity for the US and crossed over.  I see no immediate red flags.

Context is critical though.  Are there other insignia?  Branch Devices?  Overseas chevrons?  Officer or Enlisted?  Named or not?  The answers to these questions and more would determine if you have a very interesting and historical jacket or something put together.

Chris

10 hours ago, cwnorma said:

Context is critical though.  Are there other insignia?  Branch Devices?  Overseas chevrons?  Officer or Enlisted?  Named or not?  The answers to these questions and more would determine if you have a very interesting and historical jacket or something put together.

It's an officers uniform with officers insignia but no collar insignia. I messaged the seller asking for more pictures of any tags/and of the collar to see if there were devices attached at some point but I've yet to get a response 

I think the Certificate of Merit ribbon may actually be for a State or Local Victory medal from WW1

Keith

bertmedals

The one marked "Certificate of Merit" is a VFW medal.  There was a concerted effort at the end of the war to get Doughboys to sign up for the VFW so that ribbon is seen frequently on WW1 uniforms.  The red/white striped ribbon is the French WW1 Commemorative Medal.  I have seen these occasionally in US WW1 groups (along with French Victory Medals).  I think but have not yet confirmed that US personnel who served in France in WW1 could request both these French medals. The blue/white ribbon looks like the New York State WW1 service medal.  The white stripes look a little different (possibly from the material used) so it could be something else.  The only French award that is even close is the Order of Arts, Sciences, and letters but I have never seen one from the WW1 era so I am unable to do a visual comparison.  There are no doubt other potential medals with a similar ribbon such as the Italian War Cross.

Only 431 Palmes Academiques were awarded to US personnel in WW1 according to the 1923 War Department report on WW1 decorations.

Dennis