M1 with 36th ID Salerno "invasion markings"

shadawg

I would like to reference the previous thread on one of these found a few years ago, as it thus far has the best documentation and discussion on the matter of the markings. All things considered, i think i kinda got this one for a steal. the tape appears to be period done, and matches the rest of the wear, and grease impregnating the straps. i do not believe the liner had been separated in a while, and to my delight, had matching markings. it was sold by a relative on ebay, surname may or may not match, however, i am currently in the process of trying to trace lineage. overall, it just has that great look to it. going off the research already found online, i am confident on what has already been found, but definitely have ears wide open if anyone has found any other info. hopefully it can serve as a continuation to this thread, as that one also did not reemerge

DSC05854.JPG

DSC05852.JPG

DSC05853.JPG

DSC05856.JPG

DSC05855.JPG

DSC05857.JPG

DSC05859.JPG

DSC05860.JPG

DSC05861.JPG

DSC05864.JPG

DSC05865.JPG

DSC05867.JPG

Nickman983

I saw that one as well but wasn't in a position to bid on it. Glad that it went to a forum member. Absolutely killer lid, I'm looking forward to hearing more on this one as you continue your research.

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Wow, I like the looks of that medical tape.  Thanks for sharing.

ye, thank you, i do think the tape gives it a neat appeal

1 minute ago, Nickman983 said:

I saw that one as well but wasn't in a position to bid on it. Glad that it went to a forum member. Absolutely killer lid, I'm looking forward to hearing more on this one as you continue your research.

absolutely, hopefully i can find more, as i have been given a small lead on genealogy anyway. wish i coulda snagged the german helmet he was selling too, as it was likely this 1st lt's souvenir

Now that’s a killer helmet, I’ve never seen a rayon suspension system with the sweatband clipped into the nape strap. I’ve always thought helmet had a better fit that way, just never seen it on an early rayon, super interesting 

2 minutes ago, Gtilk8455 said:

Now that’s a killer helmet, I’ve never seen a rayon suspension system with the sweatband clipped into the nape strap. I’ve always thought helmet had a better fit that way, just never seen it on an early rayon, super interesting 

ye i thought it was interesting as well, and i agree on the matter of the fit. also interesting was the fact he decided to keep the nape strap, and snap it in to the upper head band

I like it alot too David. Looks like a nice old early battle worn set to me. Looks like the referenced thread had a few different  areas noted with period pics w this similar stripe pattern not just Italy it seemed. You have the persons full ID ? Could you just retrace his steps? perhaps and shed some light onto where this guy has been. Definitely not kids “playing”. Has the “look”. Congrats on this new one! Good addition. 
Z

2 hours ago, Paddyd00 said:

I like it alot too David. Looks like a nice old early battle worn set to me. Looks like the referenced thread had a few different  areas noted with period pics w this similar stripe pattern not just Italy it seemed. You have the persons full ID ? Could you just retrace his steps? perhaps and shed some light onto where this guy has been. Definitely not kids “playing”. Has the “look”. Congrats on this new one! Good addition. 
Z

hah thanks a lot brother, only got the last name of the grandson that sold them. i'll definitely update if i find any more info as far as family genealogy tho. but yep, definitely has "the look"

7 hours ago, M24 Chaffee said:

That’s such a great looking and interesting helmet in every way!

Frank

thanks a lot, i was glad to get it out on a nice overcast day for some daylight pics. shows it off real nice

On 5/10/2021 at 12:39 PM, shadawg said:

wish i coulda snagged the german helmet he was selling too, as it was likely this 1st lt's souvenir

Very nice helmet set, shadawg! I was fortunate enough to win the souvenir German helmet; it will be added to circa1941.com during our next inventory update if you'd like another shot at it.

1 hour ago, Grant G. said:

Very nice helmet set, shadawg! I was fortunate enough to win the souvenir German helmet; it will be added to circa1941.com during our next inventory update if you'd like another shot at it.

hah i just may

• 2 years later...

Going back through this thread and gotta say, a really top-notch Salerno lid. Fits all the photos and examples I've seen with a perfect amount of salt. Really love it!