langbein fighting knife questions

bruv

I had a guy call wanting to sell this knife. He saw one that sold on ebay for $1400. Do these fo for that much? From the pictures he sent, does it look original? There is no name on the handle. Should the maker be on both sides of the blade? Any help would be appreciated. I saw the display and other post about these, but wondered about this one. 

Dave

imagejpeg (1).jpg

imagejpeg (13).jpg

imagejpeg.jpg

I never paid that much for any of mine but who knows these days. The price book has $750 and up. It looks original to me. The makers stamping should be on both sides of the blade. Yours has the more common stamping. The less common stamping is "C. LANGBEIN / NEW YORK". They seem to bring more when the handle has a name and service number engraved on it.

The Langbein's were professional tool makers who specialized in surgical instruments before WWII. When the war started they began making fighting knives to supply US troops on a very limited basis. One of the most unusual things about the Langbein knife is that the blade and grip are made of a single piece of tool steel. The knife has an overall length of 12 1/8” with a 7 1/4” blade. The blade is highly polished and the entire knife may possibly be plated.

Frank Trzaska wrote a very good in depth article about these knives for the November 2014 edition of Knife World magazine. Bill Walters also covers these knives on pages 96 & 98 of his book.

1-20V-3-crop=a.jpg

3-20V-3-crop=.jpg

7-Langbein group-crop=.jpg

8.jpg

5-20U-5f=cropa.jpg

Nice collection.

About 20 yrs ago, at the Baltimore Show, a guy had a couple Langbeins for sale.  One was a much larger blade than the other - maybe 8" or so as opposed to the normal size.  I didn't get it and have never seen one since.

Ever seen or heard of such a thing?

No pics

4 minutes ago, siclfde said:

Nice collection.

About 20 yrs ago, at the Baltimore Show, a guy had a couple Langbeins for sale.  One was a much larger blade than the other - maybe 8" or so as opposed to the normal size.  I didn't get it and have never seen one since.

Ever seen or heard of such a thing?

No pics

I have never seen or heard of one with an 8" blade. The one in my last picture is the only one I have seen without a thong hole.

The knife posted is original. This said the price is subjective (to me) Maybe if it was mint/un-used condition and a person "had to have it" may not be a unrealistic price. This one posted looks to have been sharpened as it appears the edge looks messed with? Nice it has a original scabbard. I know they are a scare knife to find. I have actually seen more V42s for sale in the last 52 years than Langbein  knives. But like certain items the unit or history of the unit or owner can make a difference in price and desireability. Also the Langbeins are well made but not well known.

He told me he picked it up in Saigon, of all places, while he was there in 1972. I believe they are hoping to get a sky high price out of it because they saw one on Ebay for $1400. I don't think the one on Ebay sold, but that doesn't matter when they see a price like that, they want the moon. I told them to list it on Ebay and see what happens. Thanks.

Dave

• 1 year later...
EmperorWangDong

I'd like to purchase one of these in minty condition. If anyone has one for sale, please message me here - I'm willing to pay more than going rate and I also have a few items for trade or partial trade. Thanks 🙏