WWII Army Air Corp Utility Knife-or not?

WD40

Dear Knife collectors, my WWII pocket knife collection is missing one of the Army Air Corp Knives. I would love to find one with bone handles, but no luck since 6 month of searching. So I found one from Imperial with black plastic handles. Can anyone identify it, was it an issued model? Is it from the war era? Would be very happy about any info, comments. Thank you. 4C8F4F77-FD9E-4CA5-85A6-ECA96909CF60.jpeg.f944103a97702e4915555d9e80138cc1.jpegCDE1A257-7282-46A7-8D45-0A70DCC4389C.jpeg.c1d90d7a5ce6b024aee0805292c11526.jpegCCFAD36A-2F46-4F91-B79F-96166E12EB4F.jpeg.f53b774bdeb6ceaba381a45c23de31fe.jpeg

Everything about that knife is correct for a WWII manufactured type. I would also say a fine USAAC example, condition is a little tarnished but if you do not have one then this is a good starter.

I would like to add that manufacture of pocket or jackknives with acetate (plastic) scales well exceeded those with jigged bone. Though not as handsome as bone, it is just as accurate a representation. The good news is they typically are valued less as well.  

Thank you very much dustin! That helps me a lot. Yes, an AAC Pilots knife with bone handles would be perfect. But I guess Camillus didn’t make that much with bone handles right? They made them only until end of 1941 with a total of around 70.000. That’s what I understood from the Camillus collectors web page. Do you know about other manufacturers, like Imperial, Kingston... did they made this knife pattern with bone handles? Thank you again.

Blacksmith
6 hours ago, dustin said:

Everything about that knife is correct for a WWII manufactured type. I would also say a fine USAAC example, condition is a little tarnished but if you do not have one then this is a good starter.

I would like to add that manufacture of pocket or jackknives with acetate (plastic) scales well exceeded those with jigged bone. Though not as handsome as bone, it is just as accurate a representation. The good news is they typically are valued less as well.  

Good information Dustin - thank you.

Camillus produced the three-bladed AAC knife well into 1942 with bone, they also transitioned to acetate scales. Imperial was the other prime contractor for these knives, prime meaning quantity contracts. They also produced them with bone as well. Other Contractors include Kingston, Ulster, Boker and Case, they all made the same pattern. Kingston and Ulster being affiliated with Imperial. 

Dear Dustin, 

your knowledge is really astonishing! This information will help my search on this knife with bone handle a lot! Thank you so much! 

There’s a lot I don’t know either, possibly more than what I actually now but so is the case in many facets of this hobby. I’ve given you the basic gist. There were so many layers such as those actually procured by the derived and what were actually procured for resale in the PX and ships stores. Same patterns of knives falls into both categories. As example the imperial knife posted here can be both, procured and stocked USAAF and also QMC resale. 
carrying of pocket knives were recommended to all those heading into the forward area, airmen, infantry, what have you. I’ve read a few accounts of some guys having two up to three pocket knives, over prepared I suppose. 

• 1 month later...

I’m so happy! I finally found an AAC utility knife with bone handles. It’s made by Imperial and is a beauty. Walk and talk is perfect, only small defect is one of the pins broke. I’ll fix it and polish the other two blades. I was searching for more than 1 year.  Best, Klaus8EBB354A-3D2B-42CE-8E18-C6C5C218DB3F.jpeg.d0d3a57941ebb965dd36e3e56cbc1ca3.jpegD2668A40-B4C8-4A02-8376-601FB1DBB8C3.jpeg.497cd1ecf3d6b13032415fab2e7c98eb.jpeg