Need a quick “Should I Buy This?”

BigBrother

BigBrother

Hey folks. I started the quest to build out some WWII dress uniforms for social events/dances etc. I was planning on going mostly with WWII Impressions but came across what I *think* is a real doozy today and they put it on hold for me. Please advise with info, opinion, etc.

As far as I know right now it’s an early war Air Corps officer’s dress jacket and pinks, CBI (if that’s the right acronym) theater. Price is $165. I’m really just above beginner with all of this stuff. I think pinks are tough to come by but I have no real clue. Anyway, the fit is almost perfect on both. I would need an inch or two of breathing room on the jacket and about an inch let out on the pants. Otherwise flawless fit! There are a couple of small holes, barely visible, and what appears to be an old blood or rusty type of stain on the pants I have to imagine can at the very least be reduced 50%.

Okay, have a look at the pics! (Pardon any rotation issues that might occur as this is from mobile.) Main questions: what is this, how common or rare, is it worth the price, and do you think the jacket will allow 1”-2” of letting out? Thanks so much!!!

75C44AAF-3AB1-4418-9D27-982A72864C98.jpeg

474F2B19-BDEF-496F-9647-E2FE15A0398D.jpeg

8ABA22A9-68D1-472A-ABC0-AA1B7C6A7439.jpeg

34E87B91-1620-4BA2-8D43-C28ADC835C43.jpeg

A18DEE0F-A8A0-4825-A1B3-5924118D00A1.jpeg

757D03F4-CADF-4D6F-84E1-DF0E91C35F54.jpeg

EF24A864-7197-4319-8B41-5BB66C737BF4.jpeg

Yes. It's a Far East Command patch but I agree that's too much.

Generic pinks and greens are not rare at all. Get a plain jacket for <$50 and some pinks for <$50, alter them to fit, and add the insignia you wish.

Remember, you can't always just add breathing space so it's best to wait for a larger size. Going down in size is easier especially if only a bit.

Dave

Old Crow 1986

Opinions only...

As a collector, I'm about 2 years further down the road from where you are today.  Like you, I was looking for a set of Pinks and Greens to wear to some 75th Anniversary events.  I found the forum just after I bought my set and the next thing you know I'm booking a flight to Louisville for the Show of Shows.  The point of this intro is "I hear ya, pal." So given that I'm barely more experienced than you and in the spirit of the forum I'll take a shot at answering your questions, share a few lessons learned, and provide some advice that's worth every penny you'll pay for it.

1) Far East Air Forces patch on the shoulder, not China, Burma, India.  Doesn't effect the value of the jacket, just wanted to clarify the point.

2) Not rare at all, rather common.

3) Probably not early war.

4) Agree with the much more experienced Manayunkman - a bit pricey.  In this condition, with no accourtments, not associated with an confirmed aircrew member, nothing really remarkable about the set, it is - at best - a $85 to $100 uniform.

5) Doesn't look like you've got a lot of room to play with in the jacket's rear seam.  Not a tailor but I'm not seeing anywhere near 2 inches worth of let out material.

...enough of the Debbie Downer feedback, here's some lessons learned that you may want to consider....

6) Like you, I was looking for a uniform to WEAR.  You'll find that the overwhelming majority of uniforms from the era are SMALL by today's standards.  Reasons - these guys (children of the Depression and used to going without everything...including food) were in their physical prime when they were in the service - 18 to 25 years old.  They were NEVER going to be that fit/trim again. Given that, their uniforms tend to run 34R to 36R, with 30in waists. You'll find s-o-m-e 38R jackets, even fewer 40R jackets and the pickings get slimmer (pun intended) as you go up from there.  So, if you want a uniform to wear and you're not 20 years old with the body to match anymore, then a slightly beat up 40R  with 33in waist pants is INFINITELY more useful than a pristine 36R jacket with 28in waist pants that you can't even squeeze yourself into.

7)   The jacket doesn't look too beat up.  It still has the belt, no mothing that I can see, no hideous repairs, no noticeable stains.  It's a good serviceable jacket - which is what people will focus on.  You can get away with marginal pants because nobody (should) be looking at you from the waist down.  But a ratty jacket - sheesh - you'll look like a hobo, no recovering from that. 

8) Remember if you're going to wear these you'll need to complete the rig - shirt, tie, belt, shoes...etc.  I got my pinks and greens set off of eBay.  $225 for jacket (with rank, US collar devices, Air Corps branch insignia), pants, shirt and tie.  Bought a "close enough" belt and shoes online.  Bought a repro crusher.  Wore them on the 75th Anniversary of D-Day tour.  Got invited to have dinner with a B-24 pilot who flew 17 combat mission in the ETO. WORTH EVERY PENNY! 

SUMMARY - If you're looking for a WEARER uniform and you find one that fits don't let perfect become the enemy of "good enough."  I pulled the trigger , had some buyer's remorse and then got a great life experience out to the deal!

PM me if you want to hear me keep prattling on...

BigBrother

These were all great, especially this last one Old Crow! Very interesting to hear about your similar experiences and I would definitely like to PM you.

I did indeed end up passing on it, essentially for the reasons stated here. Actually while I was waiting for responses I hopped on eBay to check prices and was obviously a bit dismayed to see that this was, in fact, not really that much of a steal. There were a few other factors- the whole jacket letting out being one. I actually went over to my tailor and she told me that one problem I might encounter is that I couldn’t be sure that the fabric she would let out would match in color/wear/etc. to the fabric that was already out. Very fair concern and one that had not at all occurred to me (this is why I have my good tailor!) And then there was the fact that I hate buying something when I’ve only seen a single one/it’s the first one I’ve ever seen! Well, it’s not technically the first I’ve seen while vintage shopping, but I still was planning on going to WWII Impressions and some larger military vintage stores to really get a good sense, and I didn’t feel that good about buying just a single one that I found. But ultimately it came down to price. I could tell this was nothing special after checking the ‘Bay and so it was not worth getting all worked up over. On the plus side I did look damn good in it if I do say so myself :), and it made me really excited about getting one that’s right. Also for some reason I had believed that pinks were very hard to find and this really showed me that they are, in fact, not at all! And I do love how they look and feel.

So all in all not bad and I’m glad for everything I’ve learned. Thanks everyone! Another wonderful usmilitaria thread.

Have you considered the repro market or do you want to say they are all period parts?

My buddy gave me his Korean era Ike jacket and it certainly looks the part. Since you are unlikely to wear 100% original socks, shoes, underwear, etc.(though you certainly could) there are many options.

Dave

BigBrother
1 hour ago, dmar836 said:

Have you considered the repro market or do you want to say they are all period parts?

My buddy gave me his Korean era Ike jacket and it certainly looks the part. Since you are unlikely to wear 100% original socks, shoes, underwear, etc.(though you certainly could) there are many options.

Dave

Funny you mention because I was expecting the opposite- people on here trying to convince me to not go repro and go original! Truth be told my entire plan had been to go completely repro, WWII Impressions for as much as I could. But they seem to be out of a lot, including pinks and greens, and so when seeing this piece yesterday, and absent at the time all this market knowledge, I thought it might be worth it.

I think there is often a blur. I'm a big advocate for original items and I have nothing against impressions nor reenacting BUT I wouldn't advocate mixing the two if not necessary. I have a lot of WWII AAF gear but never wear original items. They are more valuable as originals as they are without contemporary damage and use. I see them as frozen in time with only the wear from past use. Good repros can be more expensive than originals but they are for different purposes IMO. One is replaceable, the other isn't. One can be damaged, repaired, reused, and eventually replaced. An original can't without churning through a limited supply(not all rare now but we need to think of the future as well).

Others will disagree but I know from experience damage and wear does occur in daily use. Dancing, eating, drinking, etc is inviting such wear. So does oil from aircraft and snags from cowlings, etc. if one is into that like I am.

I don't think you could go wrong with quality repros for actual wear. That's what they are intended for.

JMO,

Dave

huntssurplus

My opinions on this is 

Firstly the jacket is way overpriced. I mean WAY overpriced. I would never spend $165 if I came across this, let alone $50. Not worth it. There might be a name in the pocket, and that would be the only reason I bought it. Otherwise grossly overpriced. 

Second, if you are wearing the items BUY REPRO IF YOU CAN! ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE ALTERING IT PERMANENTLY. You may think that some minor tailoring jobs is something that could in theory you can "go back" on, in my eyes (and most collectors) it will never be in its original condition again. If you can find repro items, buy them. You don't need them to be 100% accurate and as long as they look similar enough (which every respectable reproduction company like WWII Impressions will) you will be satisfied, along with everyone else who looks at you. That way, you can get the right size, don't have to worry about it being smelly or messed up in the wash or anything. 

This is a collecting forum first which is why I think you will come across your fair share of members like me or are pretty starkly against wearing original items in reenacting and such, my opinion is always reproductions exist for a reason and if your goal is really to "educate the public" then you would realize that 999/1000 people who come to your events is not going to know why your khaki shirt is actually the post WW2 version because it has epaulettes on it. In my view we can always make more reproductions so never have to worry about losing or damaging one, yet every time an original items is lost or damaged there is only a limited number remaining. Even if there are a million now, in 50 years there may only be 100,000 and then you have to consider how much more expensive and hard to find items will be. You'll probably wish you didn't mess up or lose whatever your item reenacting when you could have gotten a reproduction then. 

That's just my opinion though, and i would say I am definitely on much more of the staunchly against using original items for reenacting side. in the end if you buy it and pay for it, if it is your property you can do with it as you please. 

I Hate Moths

Big Brother

What size are you? I don't believe i have seen it mentioned here.

I do support wearing repro's for re-enactment. 

At 5'7" and 145 pounds, there are lots of options for me as to original uniforms that would fit.

If you are a size 38 or under there are plenty of originals to be had.

I do wear many of my original jackets, but am very conscious of the dangers.

BigBrother

Fascinating, these last couple of takes. Make a LOT of sense. To answer @I Hate Moths, I’m like a perfect officers’ dress size, I realized last night searching eBay :)...

38R

15x32.5

30x32

160 lbs.

5’9.5”