Pilot and Aircrew Wings - Questions

Albert

All,

I have those two wings and am looking for confirmation that both are WWII period.  Also, the aircrew wing has markers for the pin setup, however, the actual pin setup is different.  Plus, the are more markers towards the tips of the wings as if prepping it for a bracelet.  Is this typical for this manufacturer, kind of covering all their basis with one reverse design.  And is it know who made those two wings.

Thank You!

Al

AAF Pilot.jpg

AAF Aircrew.jpg

donaldnol
4 minutes ago, Albert said:

All,

I have those two wings and am looking for confirmation that both are WWII period.  Also, the aircrew wing has markers for the pin setup, however, the actual pin setup is different.  Plus, the are more markers towards the tips of the wings as if prepping it for a bracelet.  Is this typical for this manufacturer, kind of covering all their basis with one reverse design.  And is it know who made those two wings.

Thank You!

Al

AAF Pilot.jpg

AAF Aircrew.jpg

the pilot wing definite ww2 and the crewmember wings has the right pin placement but the round circles could have been for clutch pin placements also.?

That’s a very good point, the circles are probably marking the clutch pin location.  Thank you!

No really good way to know for sure if they are WWII or as late as KW/post KW, but that really doesn't matter.  They are very nice vintage pieces with some good salty wear.  I love them.

bschwartz

I love the air crew wing.  I'm wondering if the circles on the tip are actually pre-built in cutout locations for the bracelets that we so often see made from wings.  That's pretty much where they would attach the chain at least on the bracelets I've seen over the years.  It's a really nice pattern for an air crew wing.  The pilot wing is about as classic of a pattern of that wing as you can get. Looks like it has some stories to tell.  

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it seems this maker has covered all the options for both fastenings and usage.  There are markings for hardware to go with a longer pin too.  Plus those "circles" which could be either for clutch posts or as provisions for a transformation to a bracelet.  The eagle roundel is very detailed and separately applied.     

5thwingmarty

The aircrew looks like it might be a Josten pattern Observer base wing on the front, but the back doesn't look like any Josten pattern wing that I have seen.  The attached device looks to be the same as used on the two-piece wings where the base wing is like a cadet cap badge without the propeller.  Can you give an accurate measurement of the wing's span?  It shouldn't be exactly 3" if it is a Josten pattern.

5thwingmarty

Looking more closely, Josten Observers have more pointed wing tips, and they are also about 1/16" wider in span.

• 4 weeks later...
5thwingmarty

I was trolling around and found these images from an old ebay auction.  It appears someone was making a variety of wings with the same base wing as used to make this aircrew wing.  I didn't ask before, but it appears the aircrew device on Albert's wing was attached to a base wing.  Can Albert confirm that?

Unknown Navigator front.jpg

Unknown Navigator rear.jpg