Any ideas/suggestions please

mortimer

I recently acquired the following as yet unattributed but numbered group. It's possible the group was put together and is unassociated but I don't feel that is the case. It seems likely from my limited knowledge of the US in WW1 that the soldier might have been in the 5th Infantry Division, possibly 6th Infantry, but I'd appreciate constructive criticism or advice from those more knowledgeable than me. Any help would be much appreciated. The group consists of -

Spanish War Veterans Cross

War with Spain medal, Army # M4529 & box

NY Mexican Border Service medal #

Mexican Service Medal 1911-17, Army # 8251

NY WW1 Service Medal, #

Victory Medal, clasps - Meuse Argonne/St Mihiel/Somme Defense 

A friend has a fully #'d Indian Wars group of four medal and associated original documents, I was surprised that with each medal he had moved to a different branch of the service, Cavalry, Artillery, Infantry & Engineers (last 3 probably out of order) and perhaps my soldier did the same? From my limited digging the above would have been more normal to have the Philippines Campaign medal instead of the War with Spain if he had always been 6th Infantry? I assume all I can say safely so far he is a regular soldier from New York and hope somebody can match a name/s to a number/s, thanks for bearing with me, Mortimer

ps Will post image & remaining #'s when I find my eye glass!

MMcollector

Army Mexican Service Medal #8251 was issued to William A. Newman of Hornell, N.Y. 

06E7066B-5739-41E5-A2A2-21482CEEF6C5.jpeg

Dear MM collector, Many thanks, I was hoping someone had access to a roll. I will be able to do a bit of digging now, I knew a roll existed for the National Guard version? The Mexican Border Service Medal, but was unsure about the Mexican Service Medal - Army. Once again many thanks, Mort

mars&thunder

Maybe I'm walking a furrow that's already been plowed, but I'm curious about the award of a Mexican Service medal vice a Mexican Border Service Medal to Newman and other NYers on the role on the same page shown in MMcollectors reply above. These guys were all NYNG troops, not US Army troops. I can't find anything in the histories I consulted that says NYNG troops crossed into Mexico or were part of the Punative Expedition. Was it simply a mistake that these men received the MSM vice the MBSM? Newman stayed in the Guard and was in the 108th Infantry, 27th Division, in WWI.

The Federal medals in the group, excluding the State or Society medals are the - Spanish Campaign Medal, Army (tower/gate to obverse & Eagle etc to reverse) 2nd type ribbon & Mexican Service Medal, Army (cactus/flower to obverse & Eagle etc to reverse)...neither medal is the 'Sword in scabbard' obverse found on the Spanish War Service, Army medal or Mexican Border Service Medal, both with different green/yellow ribbons.

Newman (Howell, NY) was an infant when the first campaign took place and 'my' guy was Regular Army not NG...help!

Number on Spanish War Veterans Cross - B 46588

NY Mexican Border Service - 4498, partly mis impressed

NY WW1 Service Medal - 70306

Seems more & more like 6th Infantry...oddly I was on the Berlin Garrison train with them coming home in 1980, synchronicity or what! 

• 3 weeks later...

Army Mexican Service Medal No. 8251 was issued in July, 1919 to Cpl. Joseph Duley, Troop H, 14th Cavalry Regiment. He was born in 1893 and didn’t have a connection to NY state, so that eliminates the Span Am War and NY medals as belonging to Duley. The 14th Cavalry Regiment didn’t serve overseas during WWI so that eliminates the WWI Victory as Duley’s.

Despite these medals not being a group, the 14th Cavalry is still a good unit for a Mexican Service Medal.

004735-4503.jpg

Duley Joseph4.jpg

Dear Adam R, That's fantastic, pity it's not a group but the lack of documentation always meant there was a possibility of an unscrupulous collector or dealer putting medals together. Could you post a copy of the medal roll page that I might start a fresh research file on him please, BEST regards & keep safe, Mort

• 2 weeks later...