USAF ABU Jump wing placement?

Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Walking through a thrift store in Colorado Springs (home to Peterson AFB, Schreiver AFB, the USAF Academy, Space Command and of course NORAD) I saw this USAF "Tiger stripe" ABU jacket.  

What is intriguing to me is the placement of the parachutist badge.  Has anyone else ever seen the parachute bag placed in the middle of the chest pocket like this?  

It's an officer's uniform (no rank stripes on the sleeve and it's apparent an officer insignia - Maj or LtCol - was removed from the collar) and I have no doubt that it's genuine.  I've just never seen a uniform with the wings in the middle of the pocket like this.  I don't know enough about USAF uniforms to know if this would normally be within reg or not (in the Army it most definitely would not.)  

Also, I presume the badge right above the USAF tape is for an aviator or air crew, what is the one above that?  Any ideas?  

ABU.jpg

Old Crow 1986

According to AFI 36-2903, Certified Current 15 Mar 2021 - 

"9.2.1. ABU and OCP uniform. A maximum of two badges are worn on the left side of the uniform front above the U.S. AIR FORCE tape located above the left breast pocket. Wear only chaplain, aeronautical, space, cyberspace, occupational, qualification and miscellaneous badges in this location. A third embroidered badge or full-size patch may be worn on the left breast pocket of the ABU (such as the missile, missile operations badges or security forces, fire protection or AFOSI shields, or the USAF Weapons School Graduate Patch or USAF Test Pilot School Patch). If a fourth badge/patch is worn, it may be worn on the right pocket of the ABU (i.e. USAF Weapons School Graduate Patch or USAF Test Pilot School Patch) or above the nametape (as appropriate)."

The top badge is the Air Force Cyberspace Operator Badge. 

The second badge is the Officer Aircrew (not rated = not pilot, not navigator/CSO, not weapons director) badge.  

Opinion follows - Based on the verbiage provided, I can see how one would put their jump wings on the left pocket as pictured.  I think the interpretation made by the individual is incorrect, however.  I think the jump wings should have been placed on the right hand side of the uniform.  The left pocket should be reserved for the missile, missile operation badge...etc outlined in the 36-2903 extract.  BUT I can see how one would read the reg the way they did.  So I would say, "Could be legit...never seen it done that way though.  Looks like a soup sandwich in any event."  

As a retired AF officer, I can assure you hat this is correct placement. I used to wear a badge in that position. Additionally, you will see BDUs and ABUs worn by CCT/PJ/SOWT/TACP with a third badge in this position.