Spanish American War medals?

Nell1840

Please can anyone help to identify the medals (or anything else!) in this photo?

I have been told it is of Martin Henehan born c1856  who was in the British Army 1876-88 but left and travelled to the United States, possibly to California. 

It's been suggested to me that the Cross is a medal from the Spanish American War.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Unknown.jpg

unclegrumpy

The first medal looks like the Certificate of Merit Medal...which is rare, and Martin Henehan did not receive one.

The second medal ribbon is hard for me to tell in black and white, but it is likely the Spanish Campaign Medal

The third medal is a Philippine Campaign Medal

The cross is the United Spanish American War Veterans membership medal...which fits with the other three.

unclegrumpy - Many thanks for your reply, which is really helpful. So difficult to tell with pre-colour photos. This discounts his being Martin but great to have the medals identified.

Out of curiosity, because I am not familiar with US military resources, is there a public list of recipients of the Certificate of Merit Medal?

unclegrumpy

There is a monograph on the Certificate of Merit Medal by Charles McDowell, but I don't know if it is still in print.  He is on the Forum, but I am not sure what name he uses...it might be Foxfall.

I looked, and did not see an obvious candidate to be the fellow in the photo.  He is an Ordnance Sergeant, but likely became one after he was issued his Certificate of Merit Medal.  The Spanish and Philippine Campaigns probably would have been issued in 1908/1909...dating the photo to about then...1908-1912...or so.  

After checking the Spanish Campaign and Philippine Campaign Medal Rolls no Martin Henehan is listed - If he was out of the Army when the medals came out he would be allowed to purchase them from the US Mint - However these medals are not listed in any available rolls.

Bill

Thank you all for replying. Whoever the gentleman is, it seems he is not Martin! Good to have learnt something about these medals - it's all an education.

Nell