WWII 8th AAF 390th Bomb Group - 568th Bomb Squadron

tigerfan

Just acquired from a local estate is this neat WWII 8th AAF 390th bg - 568th bs lot.  Two of the snap shots show the name of the plane " Jeanne Elizabeth ".  Another photo shows the crew.  And another photo is " Jeanne Elizabeth ".  Besides the photos is invitation for a celebration of the groups 300th mission.  Photos may not be the best as I took them in a bit of a hurry.  Anyway have a look.

1a2h.jpg

1a2i.jpg

1a2j.jpg

1a2k.jpg

1a2l.jpg

1a2m.jpg

1a2n.jpg

Nice material, is what I posted before I saw the jacket added. Wow. Really very nice grouping! Does the jacket have its tag? Beautiful paint on it! 

Notice the four "flour" sacks painted on instead of bombs.  If I read correctly this was for flying "bundles not bombs" missions over the Netherlands.  They flew at about 500 feet and dropped food supplies to civilians.

This is an EXCEPTIONAL grouping! Of course, I have always had a soft spot for the Square J's out of Framlingham. That A-2 is stellar.

Congratulations of the acquisition and thank you for sharing it with us.

Allan

21 hours ago, warguy said:

Nice material, is what I posted before I saw the jacket added. Wow. Really very nice grouping! Does the jacket have its tag? Beautiful paint on it! 

Tag removed long ago.  It has been gone so long that there is no fade mark where it was.

Thanks, it’s just always interesting to try to determine maker based on pocket scallops, zipper, epaulette placement, collar stand,  etc. Close inspection with Eastmans book handy would probably nail it down. Just a spectacular jacket! 

Very nice! Great A-2! Artwork is done in the same style as others I’ve seen from this bomb group. Thanks for sharing.

JD