It's probably a bad sign if I can't find my PH engraving style in Dave Schwind's book?

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

This was a FJP Auction purchase from years ago. It's a strange piece of engraving. FJP felt it was an Army award on a Navy PH. The closest style is the large machine engraving style so I photo"d it alongside engraving of that type. Clearly it's too big to be close. The Heart itself is a very nice full wrap Navy/US Mint made piece. 

There are four Ernest D Cox's who served in the Army during WW2. There is one Ernest D Cox who served in the Navy. He enlisted in 1935, was a plank owner on the USS Sampson DD394 when it was commissioned in 1938. He appears to have stayed on the Sampson until June 1943 when he was last listed on the Sampson's muster roll. After that unknown. He eventually became the Chief Machinist Mate on that ship. 

So my guess is that the Navy Cox received this PH unnamed, and later had it privately engraved? 

IMG_1396.JPG.37850a609987ecce40ebeb93fdf8c919.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

I'm honored to have someone be worried if the engraving style isn't in my book. :) That said, two things:

1. I left out an Army engraving style. It's the larger large machine engraved style...search for the Swan Purple Heart on here for an example. It will be in an addendum in Volume 2. 

2. As far as your medal...there's a reason it's not in the book. It's not an official engraving style. It's a beautiful Purple Heart, but the engraving is not official at all.

Hope that helps! 

Dave

dhcoleterracina

Thanks Dave, the post was a little "tongue and cheek". I believe that the Navy guy Cox received a Navy PH and after the war had it engraved. Privately engraved Hearts come in all sizes and this is one of an endless list. 

I had never heard of the "larger-large" style, I'll check it out. 

I really like the book , I'll be using it as a reference for many years, thanks for your hard work.