WW2 Aerial OSS Fighting Knife

ponyradish

ponyradish

Here is an interesting fighting knife that I have had for many years. This knife  was made by Aerial Cutlery Co.,is as new, and from research I have done says it had affiliations with the OSS. I purchased it along with an unissued V42 and Smatchett. Anybody have any info they can add to what I have found out. I have not found any offered for sale so  I have no idea of it's value. Thinking about moving it along. Thanks in advance, Pony. 

IMG_7403.jpeg

IMG_7404.jpeg

IMG_7405.jpeg

IMG_7406.jpeg

I have a few but was not aware of any OSS connection. There is one pictured on page 48 of Mike Silvey's World War II book. Price book shows $150 - $200.
I found a post on the Company history:

Aerial - A.C. MFG. Co. Marinette Wis - Company info - All About Pocket Knives

Aerial1-crop=a.jpg

20F-4=.jpg

Charlie Flick

Pony:

That is a very handsome example of the Aerial knives.  As you have probably learned these sheath knives were all very similar in overall form, but the lengths and grip materials varied somewhat.  Their heritage derives from the M3 Trench Knives made by Aerial during WW2.  Most collectors today recognize them as blades made from leftover M3 parts.  

I would be dubious of any formal connection between these Aerial knives and the O.S.S..  The pertinent statement by Mr. Cole at page 93 of his Vol. 4 book reads "And [sic] Ohio collector has one of these clip points that was carried by the O.S.S. [?] during WWII in the European Theatre.  His serial number is in [sic} the grip."  One knife with a serial number on it is not what I would regard as convincing evidence.  

Why would the O.S.S. buy these knives when a mountain of M3 and other existing fighting knives were available?  While very attractive blades, the leather sheaths were far less rugged than the M8 sheaths or even the earlier but more robust M6 leather sheaths. 

The bright blade, clip point and smooth grip all point (to me) to civilian knives intended for private purchase.  I have not pulled out my copy of the O.S.S. Special Weapons Equipment catalog to check but I don't recall seeing any reference to these Aerial knives in there.  While someone somewhere in the O.S.S. may have carried one of these Aerial knives my estimation is that any such knife was simply a private purchase item and not USGI.

Regards,

Charlie

ponyradish

Thanks Charlie, Makes sense to me. I guess I will go ahead and list it off site. Pony.

I have to agree with Charlie. I was always under the impression they were made from parts of Aerial's M3 contract. I don't as yet have one in my collection, but sooner or later will pick oone up. Love the design. SKIP

I have several as well, and did some extensive researching of them about a year ago.  They pop up on ebay all the time, but with widely varying descriptions and prices.  My first one was $27 about a year and a half ago, and I've never paid more than $70 for one with the sheath; the sheaths vary quite a bit.  I saw one on ebay sell for close to $200 once.  Often the markings are very lightly struck, hard to read, and Aerial used several different types of marking.  Lengths can vary from 5 inches up to almost 7 inches, grips are generally smooth, guards generally vary from flat with curved ends, shortened ends, and pointed ends, some bent.  I've seen guards that look like a plastic piece sandwiched between two metal pieces as well.  They all seem to have the two-pin attachment for the pommel, and have the clip point.

Mikedon shows several Aerials that don't have clip points, but I've not considered those as the ones made using left over parts.  Aerial apparently made knives for private purchase during the war, but no one that I know of has done any history of Aerial/ACC knives so most of what is known is from anecdotal evidence.