WWII AIRBORNE POW Purple Heart medal group to Bernard H. Peyton

KASTAUFFER

Here is a recent acquisition of mine with 2 Purple Hearts both officially engraved! One is hand the other machine engraved. I dont know why he received two of them.

PFC Peyton was captured January 4, 1945 in Belgium with the 513th Parachute Infantry , 17th Airborne Division during the Battle of the Bulge . I dont know much about his service yet.

One of the items in the group I like the best is his named ID bracelet with the jump wing on it. It is very worn.

If anyone on the forum has other info on Peyton other than what is on the NARA site I would love to know!

Kurt

Peyton.JPG

Peyton1.JPG

Peyton2.JPG

Wow! That is really a great grouping! The 17th A/B is too often ignored, and underrepresented in our military history, and deserves much better. Awesome grouping! Thanks for posting!

G

Wow! That is really a great grouping! The 17th A/B is too often ignored, and underrepresented in our military history, and deserves much better. Awesome grouping! Thanks for posting!

G

No problem! I am hoping to find out more about him. There are 3 battle stars on his ETO which makes me wonder of he was in another Airborne division first.

Kurt

Kurt,

I have some papers from a friend who was captured in March of 44 and held through the end of the war. When he was discharged, he was given credit for every European campaign (5) that occured during his captivity and that is reflected on his ribbons... That may be the case here too.

Kyle

No problem! I am hoping to find out more about him. There are 3 battle stars on his ETO which makes me wonder of he was in another Airborne division first.

Kurt

Nice grouping !! I would guess he transfered into the 17th AB from one of the other AB divisions...just a gut feel.

Did you find his enlistment date !?!

Vic

Nice grouping !! I would guess he transfered into the 17th AB from one of the other AB divisions...just a gut feel.

Vic

Cold very well be the case. The last book I read by a guy in the 17th (can't think of the name at the moment) said that a large number of thier cadre came over from the 82nd. Possibly the case here? Can't wait to hear what you find out!

pathfinder505

The 507th was transferred from the 82nd to the 17th. I found him in the 17th unit history listed as missing. That was probably due to being a POW. I scanned the roster of the 507th but didnt see him. I didnt have time to do a through search. NARA shows him listed as HQ special troops 513th. Hope this helps some.

Wow another great group I love the engraving on the PH's! I have been looking for a cool airborne group for years this one makes me jealous! thanks for posting!

Pete

Vic

Thanks for all the input so far guys thumbsup.gif

Vic- He enlisted in Oct 1943.

Kurt

Kurt,

fantastic group!

I wonder if he was issued the earlier named Purple Heart prior to discharge, or possibly it was sent to his NOK when he was reported missing.

Not sure of the vintage of the campaign medals. If the rest of the set is a later issue (post POW medal) in response to a request to St Louis, and the first PH issue was not recorded in his record, the Army may have included the second one with the POW and/or campaign medals issue.

When my dad wrote for his medals in the 90s, he received a complete set, even though he already had a GCM issued at discharge. Just a theory.

thanks for showing the group,

Mike

Thanks for all the input so far guys thumbsup.gif

Vic- He enlisted in Oct 1943.

Kurt

Kurt,

fantastic group!

I wonder if he was issued the earlier named Purple Heart prior to discharge, or possibly it was sent to his NOK when he was reported missing.

Not sure of the vintage of the campaign medals. If the rest of the set is a later issue (post POW medal) in response to a request to St Louis, and the first PH issue was not recorded in his record, the Army may have included the second one with the POW and/or campaign medals issue.

When my dad wrote for his medals in the 90s, he received a complete set, even though he already had a GCM issued at discharge. Just a theory.

thanks for showing the group,

Mike

Hi Mike

The POW medal is from the 1986 contract ( I have it's box ) , and the other campaigns are definately early contracts. The Purple Heart engraving for both is typical WWII official engraving. The plain hand engraving could be from as late as 1948. His 201 file t St. Louis will have the application for the POW medal and maybe a copy of his discharge in it. Even if the file got burned in the 1973 fire, the NPRC still filed the newer papers and requests. It will be interesting to see what they have!

Kurt

Hi Kastauffer,

This is a really stunning group!!

If you ever want to part with it, just click the PM button LOL.

Bernard H. Peyton was a member of B Company, 513th PIR.

Regards, Tom

Hi! Is there any chanses that you would like to sell the handengraved purple heart? ;)

/illen

And split up the group !?! Please tell me you are joking !!!

thumbdown.gif

Vic

I once worked with the son of another "B" company 513th guy that was captured and became a POW. I believe

he was from ND or SD and the University there conducted an interview with him about his experience. This was 1981-82

timeframe.

Hi Kastauffer,

This is a really stunning group!!

If you ever want to part with it, just click the PM button LOL.

Bernard H. Peyton was a member of B Company, 513th PIR.

Regards, Tom

FightenIrish35
Hi! Is there any chanses that you would like to sell the handengraved purple heart? ;)

/illen

What!!?!?!? :unsure: I hope your kidding as well...a group such as this should NEVER be broken up to make a buck on it!

/illen

Sorry, No .

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone for confirming the unit he belonged to. I hope his 201 file didnt burn at the NARA at St. Louis. I know at a minimum his application for the POW medal will be in it. Chances are a copy of his discharge will be too,

Kurt

Guest JustinD

Hi Kurt,

It's a great group and a real nice slab of history. Do please let us know what you manage to uncover from his Service Record or whatever may remain in St Louis.

Cheers

Justin

Hi Kurt,

You got a very nice and stunning group here. I'm looking forward till you got some more information about him, or his family.

Thanks,

Silvano

BigJohn#3RD
Hi Kurt,

You got a very nice and stunning group here. I'm looking forward till you got some more information about him, or his family.

Thanks,

Silvano

Supper Grouping, I imagin that his family may have received the 1st purple heart when he was captured if he was listed as MIA or KIA by mistake. Then the army may have issued him one when he was being discharged. Just a thought. Another reason he might have requested a second one for a child. I recently seen some paper work on a WWI Vet who received 5 purple hearts issured and a review of his family history he had five children.

Who know. Again Fantastic Group and well worth keeping together. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Regards

John