I wanted to share my first display since Covid hit.

kyhistorian01

Here is my first veteran display since covid hit. My local library is in the middle of a remodel but asked me if I could put a small display together to accent a book program they were having this month on the book Flags of our Fathers. I focused on the marine participation because of the space but I hope someday I can expand the display to include the Navy. Display includes a tribute to a KIA Marine from Iwo, a signed photo of the flag raising by Joe Rosenthal, some original photos, some Iwo beach sand and a a couple of Japanese related items along with some facts about the battle. Glad to be able to share my collection with others again. keeping our veterans remembered is why I collect. Hope you like it.

IMG_20210504_140113842.jpg

IMG_20210504_140133907.jpg

IMG_20210504_140148622.jpg

Looks great!  Thank you for taking the time to put that display together and sharing it with the public and on the forum.  -- Matt

Very nice Display, well done!!

What's the meaning of the star on the Purple heart?Is it similar to an Oak leaf cluster?

Thanks for sharing

kyhistorian01
3 hours ago, Junior45 said:

Very nice Display, well done!!

What's the meaning of the star on the Purple heart?Is it similar to an Oak leaf cluster?

Thanks for sharing

Yes, the star indicates a second award, specific to the Navy and marine Corp. He was wounded when the USS Vincennes was sunk and received the other posthumously for Iwo Jima.

1 hour ago, kyhistorian01 said:

Yes, the star indicates a second award, specific to the Navy and marine Corp. He was wounded when the USS Vincennes was sunk and received the other posthumously for Iwo Jima.

Wow, thanks for the explenation and the additional details regarding the vet's history! Great group