Type E-17 Survival Kit Flask filled with war souvenirs

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

This 7 minute video show a Type E-17 flask which includes a couple original contents, plus various war souvenirs including metal pieces from Japanese aircraft. Click the image to play:

Bob Hudson

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.28.28 PM.png

Souvenirs include a snakeskin cigarette case, 1944 Philippines USA coin, small shells, a python snakeskin cigarette case, the original match case and safety pins, and several pieces of fragments from Japanese aircraft (which - to all US servicemen in the Pacific were from "Zeros."

alum1.jpg

alum2.jpg

skin1.jpg

COINS.jpg

shells.jpg

Bob Hudson

While putting the shells back in the flask, I dropped it and the shells went flying. My shop has lots of shelf units with just enough room underneath to harbor runaway shells and dust bunnies, so I've been busy trying to recover those (and thinking to my self, "Dang Bob, you need to sweep the shop floor more often!").

The sand is too scattered to retrieve.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob, you reminded me of some things I´ve lost over the years, while I was working in PNG, the local guy I worked with on New Britain showed me where two Val dive bombers were rotting away in a plantation, I grabbed a few tools and brought back a really nice alloy casting from the tail of one of the Vals and a brass spec plate from a rotting compass. One day while at work my wife dusted and vacuumed the room, I never saw the compass plate again. I always wondered if the Vals were some of the aircraft left on New Britain by the carriers after the Pearl Harbour attack.