WWII All Leather Buckle Boots. Does anyone know what these are? I can't find any information.

redone

Does anyone know what these boots are. They look like the standard WWII buckle boot except they are made completely of brown leather. They are dated 1945 and look to be American. I could not find them listed in the Quartermaster catalog or in any foot wear sources that I have.

boots 1.jpg

boots 2.jpg

boots 3.jpg

58 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Smooth full grain brown leather as opposed to rough out brown leather?

Thank you. Were these used by U.S. troops ?

Redone

My response was a question. Can't tell from pics if these are rough out with dubbing or if they are full grain leather.  Never saw M43 buckle boots with full grain.

Dave

17 hours ago, dmar836 said:

My response was a question. Can't tell from pics if these are rough out with dubbing or if they are full grain leather.  Never saw M43 buckle boots with full grain.

Dave

No they have been covered with dubbing. They are made of all smooth brown grain leather. My question is were they used by the U.S. I can not find them in any reference.

Redone

Just now, redone said:

No they have been covered with dubbing. They are made of all smooth brown grain leather. My question is were they used by the U.S. I can not find them in any reference.

Redone

Sorry. THEY HAVE NOT BEEN COVERD WITH DUBBING.

Redone

9 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Interesting. I have never seen that version.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Now I know I'm not the only person who has never come across this style of boot before. I thought on the forum I would get all the information I was looking for , but these seem be a mystery. Maybe I'll get lucky and find out they are something special. Thanks again.

Redone

At first one might think they were a hybrid between the ankle boots and the buckle boots but the fact that they are late manufacture might mean they were yet another attempt to get away from the "absorbent" rough outs. Just a guess.

31 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

At first one might think they were a hybrid between the ankle boots and the buckle boots but the fact that they are late manufacture might mean they were yet another attempt to get away from the "absorbent" rough outs. Just a guess.

That makes sense. 

Redone

On 5/5/2021 at 9:19 AM, redone said:

Redone

Yes you are correct. When I went to clean them up I found that the leather at close look probably has been covered with dubbing and them gone over with a tinted leather cream.

Thank you,

Redone

These boots with the brown finish were late and made this way. I have had several pairs all unissued. The finish is sprayed or painted on. Here you can see it over sprayed on the buckles and soles. as I understand it its a water proofing / sealer. 

image.png.ee65ed71c6e838097d37a0b3b7fe08df.png