USMC MPBS M9 TRIALS BAYONETS (Part Two: LanCay Submissions)

pwcosol

In this second part addressing the USMC's quest for a new bayonet, examples of the MPBS M9 manufactured by LanCay will be discussed.

LC M9 1993 USMC STT 1.JPG

LC M9 1993 USMC STT 2.JPG

LC M9 1993 USMC STT 3.JPG

LC M9 1993 USMC STT 4.JPG

LC M9 1993 USMC STT 5.JPG

LC M9 1998 USMC Simplified 1.JPG

LC M9 1998 USMC Simplified 2.JPG

LC M9 1998 USMC Simplified 3.JPG

LC M9 1998 USMC Simplified 4.JPG

LC M9 1999 USMC M9 FTs 1.JPG

LC M9 1999 USMC M9 FTs 2.JPG

LC M9 1999 USMC M9 FTs 3.JPG

LC M9 1999 USMC M9 FTs 4.JPG

LC 2002 USMC Trials X 3 obv.JPG

LC 2002 USMC Trials x 3 obv1.JPG

LC 2002 USMC Trials x 3 rev.JPG

LC 2002 USMC Trials x 3 EGA.JPG

LC 2002 USMC  D Sandberg Kgd 1.JPG

LC 2002 USMC  D Sandberg Kgd 2.JPG

LC 2002 USMC  D Sandberg Kgd 3.JPG

LC 2002 USMC  D Sandberg Kgd 4.JPG

LC 2002 USMC  D Sandberg Kgd 5.JPG

As mentioned in Part One, in 1993 the USMC held a trial for a new, improved M9 bayonet more in line with what they wanted. Much of this resulted from evaluation of their Divisional Trials of the BUCK 1991 USMC contract of 5,500 M9s. LanCay wanted to get into the act with two variants produced later. During 1992-93, they came up with the M9-XM, which was offered both to the USMC and Army. 30 sets were manufactured for a total of 60 M9s. Both had solid tangs with the catch assembly (M7 pattern) welded onto the tang. One pattern came with the standard round Zytel grip which differs in having a few relief holes drilled into it. This was to allow excess silicone sealant, which was pumped into the grip before final assembly, to squeeze out when the grip was installed and catch welded in place. The second pattern was equipped with US M7 pattern, green plastic grip panels. In addition, the scabbards differed from the norm at the time, in having the offensive screwdriver blade ground off the cutter plate and suspension incorporating a stone protector flap as well. Nothing more seems to have come of this. Photos 1 thru 4.

In 1997-98, once again LanCay hoped to produce something the USMC would be interested in. This resulted in production of two lots comprising 25 bayonets each. What they came up with was a even more simplified M9. Though rather crude in prototype form, LanCay wanted to submit these two variants. The first lot of 25 units had green Zytel fittings and etched on the reverse side of the scabbard PT | 3-98 (Proto Type). The second batch was produced with black Zytel fittings and etched on the reverse side of the scabbard PT | 10-98. The flattened sides of the grips was done for a more ergonomic feel. Also the screwdriver blades were removed on the black examples. Photos 5 thru 8.

Not long after, another opportunity presented itself and this resulted in the M9-FT (Field Test) M9s. According to what I have, 110 examples were made, with only the blued blade pattern actually being provided to the 2nd Marine Division for testing in 1999. There was also a gray-finish variant and another without saw teeth produced as well. By this time, the USMC was less and less inclined to consider the MPBS M9. Photos 9 thru 12.

By 2002, the writing was on the wall. The USMC was now involved in the War on Terror. They were looking for a new bayonet...but maybe something already in production, which could be rapidly supplied. Thus entered the Eickhorn BK2000. This bayonet seemed to appeal to somebody in a position to purchase them and a small number were actually acquired, when the roof collapsed. The resultant outcry from other competitors and some politicians doomed the BK2000 to relative obscurity and heralded in the 2002 USMC Bayonet solicitation.

LanCay ended up submitting a unique group of variants (25 in all). Note none bear the "M9" designation. As usual, there were some additional bayonets produced as back-ups or for test purposes. Rather than go into the details I refer the reader to access this most informative article submitted by Jim Maddox to Frank Trzaska'a US Military Knives, Bayonets and Machetes website. My three examples are photos 13 thru 16.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/jim_maddox.htm

Unfortunately, the trial was cancelled and bayonets returned to LanCay the same way they came. However, also submitted to the USMC at the last minute were two rather homely bayonet offerings from Ontario Knife Co., which were also returned. One of these...ugly duckling that it was, became the forerunner of what was to become the OKC 3T and ultimately the OKC 3S...winner of the USMC's long sought quest for a new bayonet, and a fine one at that!

Lastly, down but not out, a spin-off from the USMC 2002 trials solicitation. The bayonet pictured was marketed as a USMC commemorative by LanCay. Note it bears the "M9" designation on the ricasso, which will not be found on actual 2002 USMC trials bayonets. LanCay tried this marketing approach for other armed services as well. The bayonet has been equipped with a D. Sandberg Knuckle-D guard. Typically these bear no markings but 10 were manufactured and offered to the USMC around 2002/3 (and the trials) as something the Marines would take a shine to. Like the bayonets, they were returned as well. From the mold cast markings on the bow, I believe this is one of the 10. Photos 17 thru 21

Again, I want to emphasize what I have written here is from information gleaned from a number of sources. Without letters and personal conversations with Mr. Homer Brett and the late Bill Porter, only scraps of information would be available. Both are to be commended for their time and dedication in both preserving and sharing this data.

Thank you pwcosol.  This information is amazing and will provide an excellent collector resource for these awesome blades. It is the back story that is so important to explain why we ended up with the M9 and the various contracts.  You are providing the info right here on the forum for all to see.  Big thumbs up!👍☺️

pwcosol ... Excellent post! It might be redundant if I post anything because you posted most of what I already have. Great examples and I've referred to the link you referenced many many times (http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/jim_maddox.htm). Great examples!

Out of the examples you showed already I've got:

1. The LanCay M9-XM USMC full tang w/welded pommels. That's a great USMC set to have with a lot of unusual features that you discussed already. There was also a mirrored Army set made as well. If an M9 collector wants to get something very different from the usual M9 design, track down one of these sets down; you have to have both. They are both still an M9 at heart but engineered very differently! BTW ... That full backstrap may not look unusual at first, especially, considering everyone is used to seeing Phrobis scabbards with full backstraps but for LanCay, these were actually prototype scabbards at the time. For some reason these prototypes were never adopted and I've read in some Homer Brett letters where he conveyed some discontent with the military/Army not adopting the full backstrap design.  

2. I've had the black USMC M9-PT for a while now and decided to pickup the OD version as well as a companion piece; it's in the queue with Frank. You're right about it being 'crude' because it looks like it was a quick or hasty mock-up to get submitted to the USMC. The scabbard and the handles look as if they were put on a belt sander and whoever was inscribing the dates didn't have the best handwriting ... haha. Nevertheless, it is a cool set to have! I really like the feel of the waffle grip with the 'flats' more so than the ergonomic grips that came along later.   

3. I know there was a whole series of the tan 2002 trials Lan-Cay w/USMC & Globe and anchor marked ricasso as referred to in your link. I only have the no holes tan M9 version.  During this time period, I believe the USMC wanted to stay away from OD or green colored bayonets and was looking for a tan consideration. The plastics of these tan trials variants have an unusual hue. The color seems to have a hint of mustard color rather than tan.

4. Lastly, I also have a Lan-Cay M9-FT original USMC variant w/black blade. I've been looking for one of these for a while and recently was lucky enough to pick one up from the late Bill Porter's collection via Frank. Don't quote me on this but it is my understanding the other M9-FT variants, the M9-FT's with the grey blades w/saw and no saw, although still made by Lan-Cay, were dealer replicas or commeratives and were intentionally made different from the originals. I believe I may have a Homer Brett letter discussing this and if I can track it down, I'll post.

I really like that USMC/Baghdad marked knuckle guard; that gives me something new to look out for!!!

bobcat87 ... Didn't you have a USMC Eickhorn w/globe and anchor; 'Made in USA' marked? You ought to post it! I know this is an M9 page but it might be relevant since pwcosol mentioned it. I've got one of those as well but I need to scoop up the Eickhorn 2000WC 'Made in the USA' marked bayonets. I keep seeing those pop up occasionally but never pull the trigger; Frank Trzsaka and John Gibson just had one listed. Although that wire cutter version doesn't sport the globe and anchor on the ricasso it was submitted to the USMC for consideration by Eickhorn. However, I understand the USMC wanted to get away from the wire-cutter aspect of the M9's. That was until the all the vendors caught wind of the what was happening and screamed 'foul' leading to the 2002 USMC bayonet trials; resulting in the eventual adoption of the Ontario Knife Company OKC3S. Furthermore, I think those are the only two Eickhorn's you'll find with 'Made in USA' on the ricasso. These parts may have been imported then assembled here in the US for the trials.

I have one of the USMC EGA BK2000s w/o WC as well. Might want to tack that discussion onto the OKC 3S thread since this one is dedicated to the M9s. In fact, it was the subsequent brouhaha over the USMC buying the BK2000 and the immediate termination of that idea, which ultimately lead to the OKC's design being adopted...

rifledoc1

pwcosol, thank much you researching and posting for this great series of topics on the Marine Corps’ efforts to replace the M7 bayonet in the 1090’s and early 2000’s.  

I am not sure if what I have is one of the 25 variants Lan-Cay submitted in response to the 2002 USMC Bayonet solicitation, or if it was an just an overrun variant from that solicitation, but I am posting some pictures for reference to the topic thread.

BF0C8CEA-E3F0-4508-86D2-72D2E1B8BDB5.jpeg

56064C9D-2D50-4B74-918F-B0A07E9C56D6.jpeg

2249EDB4-48BC-43F4-93C7-DD1BDF695BBD.jpeg

Thanks for your post. Yes, the example you pictured is one of those made for the 2002 USMC trials solicitation. They came in the original Tan or black color Zytel fittings with ergonomic grip and Molle suspension. Suspension on the tan was black because the brownish colored webbing seen on the later commercial M9s with standard grip was yet to be produced. In addition, when LanCay ran out of this color tan Zytel,  a second batch was made having a darker, orangy-like tan. Collectors started referring  to it as "Coyote Tan" which must have come from the USMC's reference to their newest, desert tan colored field equipment, being somewhat similar. When I mentioned this to Barry Brown, he had never heard of this, and he did not differentiate between the initial and latter run of tan Zytel M9 fittings.

BTW, to all: In post #1. photo #14 showing three of the 2002 USMC trials bayonets, the first one is a 7.5 inch example, of which only a very few ("holy or no holes") were made. This was a very difficult blade to make, as LanCay's cutting jig was fixed to laser cut the standard length blank, and many blades were ruined or broken in the attempts to make the longer blade..