A nice 1918 MKI Trench Knife (or not?)

Magnum Power

Magnum Power

Hi,

I've been searching for a nice 1918 MKI for a long time.

Someone has this one for sale and send me some pics.

I have Greg Aloisio's book, I had read a lot of threads on different boards, but I'm still confused, and not sure about some details about this one.

What's your opinion?

Genuine or not (and why?)

Thank you.

TK1918a.jpg

TK1918b.jpg

Magnum Power

Hi,

I've just noticed I should have post this message on the following thread:

instead of here.

Sorry.

Magnum Power- The grooved handled picture you posted are for the "Au Lion" versions of the Mark 1 Trench knives. "L,F,&C" knives did not have grooves. SKIP

Magnum Power

There is no groove on this handle.

The red picture with arrow is from the link to the other thread, not from me. 🙂

militariaone

Greetings MP,

My supposition is the threads on the tang were once broken/damaged (hence shortened), which required the noticeable "boring out" we see on the end of the handle (so the skull crusher/blade retaining nut could now reach the existing/remaining threads). Why or how this damage occurred is unknown to me, but never under estimate the powers of Bubba. Additionally, the blade appears re-profiled/shortened. In the end, IMHO, it's all original. If I were purchasing it as a collectable/investment (i.e. something that's going to hold or increase in it's value) I'd save my money for a less-abused example without all of its issues. As even if you were waiting for a better replacement blade to come along; the scaring on the base of the handle is pretty horrific. 

Best,

V/r Lance   

Magnum Power

Hi Lance,

Thanks for your comment.

I don't know about the threads, but on the contrary I was thinking they were too long when comparing to this picture for exemple:

DSC00005.jpg.ec9215d8d0fbd843e9cac5df387

The blade is 171mm from the tip to the handle guard. I believe it is full length.
The V shape on the ricasso is nearly flat but I saw some examples like this on Aloisio's book.

Its shape where it meets the handle is different too. I don't know...

I had more doubt about the handle.  Mold marks are very present (more than usual). Did you ever see such big marks?
About the hole at the end of the handle, I couldn't find another picture from the same angle to compare with.

There is not much choice here, so if it appears genuine, I'll guess I'll buy it.

militariaone

Greetings MP,

I believe it to be original, an in hand inspection would clear things up, but baring that I like what I see in terms of originality. In terms of condition, it's a beater knife, which falls into the "place holder" category not junk by any means, just not something I'd proudly own. These are not particularly rare knives in this condition. I'd wait for a nicer less abused example as shortly after you buy this one another nicer example will come your way......it is the way of collecting these things 😬 In any case, it's your money, so buy it if it makes you happy and fits your wallet.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. It's highly likely the threads have been re-tapped, which explains their apparent length. Also, look at that scoring by the ricasso's lower shoulders.....something's been done there too. Again, this is supposed to be a fun hobby, if that knife is still "fun" for you buy it. 👍

Magnum Power

How much would you value it?

I guess I could buy this one until a better exemple shows up, and then resell it without loosing money.

PS: by the way, the guy has another one for sale. It is an Au Lion (I'm not found of them, I prefer the US made ones).

The marking is not the typical one.  Is there something that jump out at you?

auLion.jpg

militariaone

Greetings MP,

Au Lion's handle has been polished, (standard antique dealer's mistake) though not a show stopper, but does effect current value. Au Lion appears to be a "open 9" variant. IMHO, this knife is a better "get" then the originally posted L. F. & C.

Two things I never do, is appraise knives or share fishing holes. No harm in asking, it's quite often the next question in a discussion. Plenty of folks will share their ideas of value(s) and venues to buy (just not me). Happy to discuss originality and condition, but the rest is for others to postulate, discuss, and research.

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

Magnum Power

I understand. I was just curious, but of course I'm more interested to know if it's real or fake than what is the supposed price.

About this Au Lion, it is an open 9 variant indeed, but what surprises me is the lack of the first dot. after the U.

I never saw one with this.

militariaone

Greetings MP,

One of the challenges with Au Lions is the dizzying array of variants and variants of variants one encounters. May have been a lightly/shallowly cast period and with the use of a buffing wheel it entirely disappeared. These variants are reproduced, but only a few are particularly convincing. My assumption is, this one has just been buffed and as such, lost some of its finer detail. 

Best Regards,

V/r Lance