Why is this a $2000 Silver Star?

Dave

I'm trying to figure out if I missed a huge jump in values lately...this Silver Star is now over $2k and it's still got a couple days to go. Granted, it's two bidders taking it up...so there might be a story there somewhere. But last time I checked, even with a thumbnail olc, it's worth not even half of the current value (in my personal opinion). If people like thumbnail olcs so much, I'd be happy to sell my SS and PH w/thumbnail group for the same price.... 😄

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363375904875

Screenshot_28.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Come on Dave...have you ever seen a Korean War Bronze Star with a Large OLC?  It's one of a kind. 

I have seen family members fight each other tooth & nail at live auctions for things, maybe that is the case here.  These anomalies are always head scratchers.

dhcoleterracina

It's a low numbered SS but he's probably not calling it a SS to prevent it from being pulled. It looks legit but I'd need to see the award card that shows two SS decorations. 

His Connecticut WWI service questionnaire includes the following: "Cited for Bravery and efficiency during advance of 26th Division July 20-26, 1917 and capture of field gun July 20, 1917 by Major Edwards and Gen Pershing."  These actions obviously occurred in 1918.  I also presume "Major Edwards" should be Major General Clarence Edwards.

This is going to be fun to watch, 73 watchers (actually 72 I am one who is tagging along for fun)! I can't wait to see what the final outcome will be. Who needs Netflix, Ebay can be just as entertaining. <huge grin>

My best to you all!

Well, even with the withdrawn bids, it still managed to get close to $2000 in the end...

Screenshot_31.jpg