Rust removal on V-42 Dagger

moviepropman

moviepropman

Hi all! 
I have just recently purchased a case V42 that has a fair bit of rust. 

I’ve paid a decent amount and I don’t want to ruin the damn thing! Because of the leather and metal so close I’m a little gun shy.

Thoughts? Musings? 

017CD047-74FE-493B-83DC-F6F6176F9DE1.jpeg

moviepropman- Does the blade have a similar coat of rust? If you please post a full length photo it could help in an assessment.  THX SKIP

If it’s just the pommel I’d use a q-tip with a little Kroil on it to stop the rust. Looks active still. Just a little and maybe try not to remove it or if you do some OOOO steel wool and go slow? YMMV

Airborne-Hunter

I don't know alot about knives, but isn't the pommel on these blued? Won't steel wool be bad?

The rust didn't do any good for the blueing.  However I'd not try any restorations on a Case V-42 myself.  IMHO, this is a good time to research where to get this kind of thing done and if the cost it within my means that's how I would approach this problem.  If I was going to ask here what to do I wouldn't start out with a knife like this. There are more common and cheaper examples to practice on.

moviepropman

Here’s a photo of the whole dagger. 

She’s in rough shape. But it’s a serial numbered one as well. 

I just don’t want the rust to keep eating away. 

1FE1776B-E20C-479B-9534-666E45FBD6CD.jpeg

Looking at the whole knife, I'd just settle for WD40 rubbed on the blade, careful on the pommel. Wipe it off after a short time, keep a light coat of oil on it. Don't mess with it too much.  SKIP

Airborne-Hunter

I'd second wd40 but don't spray it direct, apply it to a surrogate material first like a rag. I'd keep the wd40 off of the grip. 

As stated, do not allow any cleaner / oil touch the leather at all. You will never get it out. It will darken the leather.

By hand tightly wrap a new rag / old t-shirt around the leather at the part where the leather meets the pommel. Then apply the oil with a q-tip. Then wipe it off and leave it alone. Same on the blade end with the leather on the guard.

I vote to leave it alone after you do this. No steel wool or scrubbing materials.

• 5 months later...
stcroixblades

Some collectors would choose to remove the rust--but it's up to the person who owns the knife in the end.  

I would agree to just put some oil on it to prevent any further oxidation.  Best to just leave the rust.  It is what it is.  

--Matt

www.StCroixBlades.com

I recently used household vinegar to help remove some rust on two rusted MK2 blades - no handles there.

You might try a bit on a cloth or paper tower on the tip of the pommel or on the fingerprint.

If not washed off, it will lead a bit of surface oxidation on bright surfaces, but does also "fix" the iron oxide to iron acetate.

My take is oil can limit the continued rust reaction, but without agents intended for altering the rust, or mechanically attacking the rust, you are not really removing rust.

On one hand, never never never never never alter the artifact. On the other hand, don't let rust take the artifact.

I'd do the light oil or Hoppes then oil route first. If its just not right for you, maybe try the vinegar.