ATTENTION AERO BUFFS!

cthomas

IMPERIAL QUEST

Hmmmmmm...too bad it is framed, a few shots of the reverse would be nice. I don't know, I am always sceptical when an item like this surfaces that has "everything you could hope for"...just sayin'. Aviation fabric in any form is rare and quite costly when encountered. If someone thinks this is good (and I am not definitely saying that it is not), it will probably go for BIG, BIG money.

Not that I know anything about these particular items, but to me, it's all in the wording found in the description. I quote, "A decorative item." Now, if it were me and I knew for sure, I'd be saying, "This rare artifact came from the great grandson of blah, blah, blah."

The fabric may be vintage, but is the painted work from the same time period? I would think if this was a period historical item he would proclaim such. He knows enough about the unit involved to include that in the description.

I looked at his past auctions and he only had one recently - it was a prop off a Spad. He said he was selling parts of his collection in order to move during the summer. I think perhaps the fabric may be real, but the question remains, when was the art painted? I know there are fellows today who are painting combat insignia on pieces of fuselage.

I think if the seller even had an inkling it was a genuine painted artifact, they might take the time to research, provide additional photos and include same in the description,espcially given they seem to be familiar with this type of collectible.

Obviously i could be wrong, but that is my most humble opinion.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Not that I know anything about these particular items, but to me, it's all in the wording found in the description. I quote, "A decorative item." Now, if it were me and I knew for sure, I'd be saying, "This rare artifact came from the great grandson of blah, blah, blah."

The fabric may be vintage, but is the painted work from the same time period? I would think if this was a period historical item he would proclaim such. He knows enough about the unit involved to include that in the description.

I looked at his past auctions and he only had one recently - it was a prop off a Spad. He said he was selling parts of his collection in order to move during the summer. I think perhaps the fabric may be real, but the question remains, when was the art painted? I know there are fellows today who are painting combat insignia on pieces of fuselage.

I think if the seller even had an inkling it was a genuine painted artifact, they might take the time to research, provide additional photos and include same in the description,espcially given they seem to be familiar with this type of collectible.

Obviously i could be wrong, but that is my most humble opinion.

All good points Dave, and definitely worth considering at length before pressing the bid button.

I was offered this item before it went to Ebay and should have bought it but it fell into the period I do not collect. It is from a SE-5 that was used after WW1 by the 27th pursuit squadron state side. A really neat piece and worth every penny. The seller is a long time collector that got out of the hobby. I bought a few items off him many moons ago on Ebay, before anyone ventured onto "my hunting grounds".

As for aircraft fabric costing a fortune. I was able to pull a portion of a side panel from a aircraft shot down, for less than 100 at a show not more than 5 years ago. Scott Kraska was at the show and was amazed that I found it. It came from a old time dealer who had nothing but junk on his table.

Sometimes it pays to be lucky..Paul