Civil War Campaign Medal - Traceable?

tigerfan

It is if you ensure that you use a tracking number when you mail it to me. 😉

Seriously, that is a great medal but I don't think those numbers are traceable to the veteran.

Thanks for the info !! 

I read about the Civil War campaign medal in the book call to duty.    I see the first batch had an "No." prefix and then the M.No. prefix.  But I couldn't find when the M.No.  prefix started.  From the book I can't tell but Is it possible that this medal was issued to the recipient before 1910?. 

According to data in the OMSA publication “The Gleim Medal Letters” No. prefixed Army Civil War Campaign medals were produced by the U. S. Mint in 1908.   Of the 600 No. medals produced only medals No. 1 thru No. 554 are attributed on medal rolls.

M.No. prefixed Army Civil War Campaign were also produced by the U. S. Mint from 1914 to 1928.  These medals were numbered M.No. 1 thru M.No. 5968.  All M.No. Medals were issued with the second style ribbon (1/2 blue and 1/2 gray ribbon).  There are no known medal rolls for M.No. medals.

So your medal was issued sometime after 1914 and has been reribboned with the first style ribbon (red, white and blue) and a newer brooch with a rotating clasp.

MMcollector
2 hours ago, Bruce Linz said:

According to data in the OMSA publication “The Gleim Medal Letters” No. prefixed Army Civil War Campaign medals were produced by the U. S. Mint in 1908.   Of the 600 No. medals produced only medals No. 1 thru No. 554 are attributed on medal rolls.

M.No. prefixed Army Civil War Campaign were also produced by the U. S. Mint from 1914 to 1928.  These medals were numbered M.No. 1 thru M.No. 5968.  All M.No. Medals were issued with the second style ribbon (1/2 blue and 1/2 gray ribbon).  There are no known medal rolls for M.No. medals.

So your medal was issued sometime after 1914 and has been reribboned with the first style ribbon (red, white and blue) and a newer brooch with a rotating clasp.

For your personal records the M.No. Civil War campaign medal contract broke into the 6xxx range. An attributed example below M.Nọ 6107. 

-Clinton

24533690-CE2C-4CBB-95F6-85FC53794A64.jpeg

Clinton,

Beautiful Medal.  Thanks for that info.  I had just read an old post about Medal contracts and their starting and stopping numbers.  The jest being most contracts wouldn’t start or stop on an oddball Number.  There seems to be a lot we collectors don’t know about medal contracts and the numbers associated with them. 

MMcollector
39 minutes ago, Bruce Linz said:

Clinton,

Beautiful Medal.  Thanks for that info.  I had just read an old post about Medal contracts and their starting and stopping numbers.  The jest being most contracts wouldn’t start or stop on an oddball Number.  There seems to be a lot we collectors don’t know about medal contracts and the numbers associated with them. 

I hope to clear up and update the contract numbers in the book I’ve been writing the last 3 years. 

3 hours ago, MMcollector said:

I hope to clear up and update the contract numbers in the book I’ve been writing the last 3 years. 

Ummm, when will this book come out? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Kevin

MMcollector
2 hours ago, swag said:

Ummm, when will this book come out? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Kevin

I can’t give a release date yet.  Still have more work to do and have to make the time and find the motivation. I got a little burned out working on it. 

-Clinton