Purple Heart pair to long time NY soldier

gunnertwo

Sharing a pair of PH awards to one man. Samuel Passero served in the NY Guard and in federal service during WWII. He was wounded in WWI and received his PH after application. His second PH was awarded posthumously after being killed during the battle on Saipan. One of his sons served in the Marines during the pacific war.

G2 

IMG_1760Passero.jpg

IMG_1762Passero2.jpg

Thanks Mike. All the NY long service awards trace to him. There is a gold 25 (or higher) award that probably got melted.

G2  

collectsmedals

Great group! A very sad story, served in World Was 1 then Killed in Action in World War 2. I love the NYS Faithful Service medals. Sadly you are right about the 25 year awards being melted down for their gold content, you are lucky to have the 20 year medal and the broach for the 15 year one as a lot of them got melted down for the same reason.

I'm originally from upstate New York and I have a scrap book from Gloversville, NY that has all of the local KIA's. One of the pages had several clippings of Sam Passero to include his photo.

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

gunnertwo

Thanks very much for posting these pics. Could you send me some scans if it's not too difficult?

G2 

Are the Purple Hearts numbered? 

The one awarded for his WW1 wounds should have a rim number. If it is numbered lower than 40,000 it's a BB&B manufactured heart.

Regards

Herman 

• 3 weeks later...
manayunkman

Father of 13 children!!

What a story this group tells.

Some of those older 25 year NY service medals were 24K made by Tiffany.

• 4 weeks later...