WW1 Ammo box with unit stencil

I noticed that all the WW1 ammo boxes I have ever seen had no printed markings on them, except this one. 

So, I decided to post it on the forum.  The web strap is a recent replacement.  The surface has had furniture wax applied.

The item is an early model .30 caliber ammo box made of oak with no angled corners or indents. The fittings are painted brass.

The stenciled logo , AFIK,  is for the 135th Machine Gun Battalion Company C.

This unit was attached to the 37thInfantry Division (Buckeye Division). They took part in the Meuse-Argonne offensive

in late 1918 fighting alongside the French at Flanders and in operations to cross the Escaut River in October 1918.

Photos below:  

94029626_WW1Ammoboxx.JPG.00e75b1ae8de982fa72a692a616d6f44.JPG1163149592_WW1AmmoBox.JPG.361b4ba8acd0d80b96b7eb0164d04753.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
illinigander

A leather strap would be more WW1.  The little wood pegs that retain the metal strap rod is then fairly easy to remove.  That said, it is a really neat WW1 relic, nice find.

illinigander 

• 1 month later...

The box used with Vickers guns was a little bigger than the ones used with M1917 Brownings.  you have a Vickers gun box. The artwork also shows a Vickers Gun.