Naval Hard Shoulder Board Rank

mrgsmvm

Hello All;

The attached photo shows a pair of Naval Type hard shoulder board rank. Question: what is this rank? I know the Button at the top of each is Massachusetts and most likely mid 1800; but is this set Massachusetts Naval Militia or state maritime unit? A close friend owns these and asked me these questions but I have no idea other than the Gold buttons.

DSC_0022.JPG

Salvage Sailor

Preliminary Cadet Midshipman, probably from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy (Mass Maritime)

Here's a set from King's Point, the Merchant Marine academy in New York.

IMG_8690.jpg

Thank you so much for that quick response. If that's Midshipman Rank it could very well be Massachusetts Naval Militia. I will check to see if there was a Massachusetts Maritime Academy during the timeframe of these shoulder boards.

Thanks again

Sincerely

John

AKA: Captain Midnight

Salvage Sailor

From their brochure

Massachusetts Maritime Academy is a public college in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts, focused on maritime-related fields. Established in 1891, Mass Maritime is the second oldest state maritime academy in the United States

Hello Salvage Sailor;

Yes we live about 20 miles from Buzzards Bay and the academy. Do to the info you gave me I figured I would drive there when I got a chance and speak to someone about those boards and exactly when the Massachusetts Maritime Academy actually started. I know that the Buzzards Bay area is fairly new area for the Buzzards Bay, maybe 50 years. So I am wondering were it was located before then. Being a Massachusetts native you would think I would know more about the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, but I don't. I plan on rectifying that soon.

Again Thanks'

John

(Captain Midnight)