The VMI cadets of 1915

albatrosdva

albatrosdva

I'll keep going later. I am only submitting those with original autographs. If they did not sign the book I am not including them. It's an interesting snapshot of US involvement in the war. 

albatrosdva
1 minute ago, R Leonard said:

I was not, thanks. Most of the information came from the VMI roster so I don't know what else I will glean from going through this but I look forward to browsing it to see what detail they include.

albatrosdva

2nd Lt Robert Wellford Ellyson: assistant adjutant, 17th Battalion, Infantry Replacement & Training Camp, Camp Lee

DSCF7447.JPG

albatrosdva

Capt Raphael Griffin, USMC, AEF, subsequently Lt. Col in Command of the 10th Marine Regiment during WWII. Retired as a Brig General

DSCF7450.JPG

albatrosdva

Capt Joseph Addison Hagan, US Marine Corps, AEF. Severely Wounded and permanently disabled, Recommended for a Medal of Honor, did receive a Distinguished Service Cross. In spite of his wounds he volunteered for WWII service where he served in an amphibious unit, retiring as a Lt Col. 

DSCF7451.JPG

Distinguished Service Cross

AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I

Service: Marine Corps

Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

GENERAL ORDERS:

War Department, General Orders No. 9 (1923)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to First Lieutenant Joseph Addison Hagan (MCSN: 0-1149), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving with the 51st Company, Fifth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F., in action at Bois-de-Belleau, France, 6 June 1918, when he rescued a platoon sergeant of his regiment from death or capture. In the face of heavy machine-gun and rifle fire Lieutenant Hagan rushed cross an open space of 200 yards under full view of the entrenched enemy forces and within 25 yards of his lines placed the wounded sergeant upon his back and returned under a withering fire to his own lines. His splendid act of devotion to duty and his utter disregard for his own safety inspired the men of his regiment with renewed courage and determination.

albatrosdva

Capt Charles Thomas Holtzman, 116th Regiment, 29th Division, AEF and Army of Occupation. He died young in 1923, not sure how. 

DSCF7455.JPG

DSCF7456.JPG

albatrosdva

Capt William Henry Humphreys, Company L 58th Infantry Regiment, 4th Division AEF. Wounded in Action at Chateau-Thierry. Killed in Action in the Argonne, Oct 4, 1918

DSCF7457.JPG

albatrosdva

Capt Richard Jaquelin Marshall, 6th Field Artillery, 1st Division, AEF

Between wars attended Army War College and Command and General Staff School

Promoted to Brig General December 1941, Major General Aug 1942

Served with MacArthur Corregidor to Australia

Deputy Chief of Staff US Army Forces Pacific Theater New Guinea to Philippines

Retired 1946 to become Superintendent of VMI

VMI Superintendent 1946-1952

Awarded a Silver Star in WWI and a Distinguished Service Cross and Distinguished Service Medal for his command responsibilities in WWII

DSCF7468.JPG

Great piece of history, is album named? Museums in VMI and area including General Lee’s study and General Jackson’s home make Lexington a must visit place for historians/ collectors. The firearms museum alone is one of a kind.

albatrosdva
2 hours ago, USARV72 said:

Great piece of history, is album named? Museums in VMI and area including General Lee’s study and General Jackson’s home make Lexington a must visit place for historians/ collectors. The firearms museum alone is one of a kind.

Yes, the owner of the yearbook was X Parsons who was also a member of the senior class. I agree, Lexington is well worth a visit

albatrosdva

Capt Nathaniel Hardin Massie, US Marine Corps, AEF with the 51st Company, 5th Marine Regiment, 2nd Division. Was awarded a Croix de Guerre with gold star

DSCF7469.JPG

albatrosdva

1st Lt Edward Gwaltney Maxwell, signal officer 317th Infantry Regiment, 80th Division AEF. Was commended for initiative and courage in battle. 

DSCF7470.JPG