New grouping T/Sgt. Clyde S. Hatley Internee Switzerland

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Am getting around to posting this recently acquired grouping. I have become FORTUNATE to become the care taker of this really great grouping. This is my FIRST POW/INTERNEE grouping and was acquired through the nephew of T/Sgt. Clyde Hatley. I had bought an item from him and asked, "Do you have anything else?" What I was presented with was over whelming. My promise to the family is to keep to core items together as long as I am the care taker.  I had posted some questions knowledgeable members of the forum, mostly to confirm the story related to me. I didn't want to post a lot of information, until I had the grouping in my possession. With enough verification and facts in hand, I purchased the group.

Clyde Hately's B-24, The Tequila Rose" was hit by both flak and fighters. Enough damage was sustained that the aircraft was going down. The decision was made to make it to Switzerland. I have his personal account of his time in Switzerland and his story of how he escaped.  Yes, he escaped. Long story short, they got some civilian clothes to put on a play. Hately in civilian clothes, fellow internee MacIntyre was dressed in women's attire. They took a train to Bern and met with a pre-arranged person from the embassy / legation. Then another train to Lausanne, where they caught a row boat across Lake Geneva to France. Quite an adventure.     

The core group consisted of; His Uniform jacket, shirt, pants, An overseas hat, dog tags, Cased Air Medal (not named), Good Conduct Medal (not named), 1980's issued POW medal, a short snorter, two ribbon bars (one US made & one Brit made), a YMCA War Time log with some photos and post cards and a telegram. There were Air Gunners wings were attached to the uniform, but he describes himself as the Flight Engineer-Gunner. Additionally with this group was a BONUS pair of Air Crew wings made by Huguenin, in Le Locle, Switzerland.

In his personal account for establishing POW status, he writes he participated in 22 bombing missions against military targets I have a separate accounting in his hand writing of 17 missions with dates and locations with being shot down on the 17th mission. 

I am proud and fortunate to be able to care for Clyde's items. Enjoy!   

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

Note:  I could find no evidence that Clyde received a Distinguished Flying Cross as indicated in this obituary.  I checked NARA's Award Cards and there wasn't a DFC indicated for Clyde S. Hatley.

h9.jpg