Help me confirm this is just a commercial rusty bayo before I try my hand at a rehandle.

wackyd

Hey yall, I ducked out on everyone for a few years after inheriting my grandfather's knife and bayonet collection. I lurked but didn't post - or buy anything new...until...

I saw the below listed as "WWII Knife" in the Nextdoor app the other day and showed interest and bought it (425, as asked).

The story teller seller implied it was acquired on a re-visit to Italy by his Uncle's best friend, with both Uncle and friend having served, but the story ended with the friend not being able to make the trip - I should have taken better notes. The part that seems true is that it was on the workshop table of his Uncle's friend after both had passed and he was gifted it as a memento.

I took it to be a bayonet with the loop cut off, or maybe just an off guard M3 knock off. No marking I can see, though I have made no effort to clear the rust. All the washers have burst from rust. The pommel is just plate and I have not tried to remove the bail. I guess it is possible it was a theater re-work, but the traces of grey paint on the cheapy guard make me think commercial production. The handle appears to have some paint to it. No grooves. No evidence of peening on the end of the blade.

Any cause to not disassemble and put on a new stack of washers just for fun for a knock around knife with a historic profile?

Thanks!

Daniel

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Charlie Flick

What you have there is the post-war, civilian Kutmaster version of the M3 fighting knife.  It was a private purchase blade made from M3 parts left over from WW2 production.  Kutmaster was a brand name owned by Utica Cutlery.

For more info take a look at this very old thread.  

Since the knife is in poor condition I see no harm in getting it put back into usable condition.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie,

Thats a great help.

Thanks and extra thanks for the linked thread. Sometimes it’s just hard to know what words to search for.

Daniel

Yeah, I think that is a great candidate for restoration. 

Mine is similar, but it's definitely made from M4 bayonet parts.

The blade is M4 and the cross guard is from an M4.

The last picture shows the M3 blade tang on top and the M4 blade tang on the bottom.

Marv

resized_IMG_3257.JPG

resized_IMG_3259.JPG

resized_3096f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 11:24 PM, Misfit 45 said:

Yeah, I think that is a great candidate for restoration. 

Mine is similar, but it's definitely made from M4 bayonet parts.

The blade is M4 and the cross guard is from an M4.

The last picture shows the M3 blade tang on top and the M4 blade tang on the bottom.

Marv

Thanks Marv.

I took it down and its exactly what you show, an M4 blade, and cut down M4 guard.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought leather washers, a few colors of leather dye, some blueing solution and made a plan.

Then I ignored the plan.

It’s crude, a bit ugly and maybe a little goofy.

Its the first try at a stacked handle. I was going to say it’s my first attempt at a Re handle- but then I remembered this Imperial from middle school, leather from an old braided belt wasn’t the worst. Would have been paracord these days.

Vs the rotten handled Kiffe M45 that it started as, it’s some improvement.

I’d probably use something other than a cheap Mark II handle kit if I were to redo it, but I like the roughness and plausibility that someone could have made this in theatre with limited tools (file, chisel, belt sander, shoe polish).

The Kabar sheath was about the same price as a knock off M8A1.

Roasting is welcome. 

I’ll probably burnish it more and rework the finish. A clogged 1000 grit sanding belt was a pretty serviceable approach for burnishing.

Fun so far.

I’d have never done it except to a Kiffe though it probably is a period appropriate blade blank.

957FE25F-3FD6-4C58-910B-A3EE0182ACF7.jpeg

4AD7018E-7726-4E8A-AC88-0BF033512005.jpeg

3504DA3C-A938-40E6-86F8-393A076F4F70.jpeg

29C539D0-E2C6-4D8C-8122-D4393B678301.jpeg