Can someone ID this helmet?

XLIV

It could be an upgraded MB4 and would be noted by the data inside the helmet.  

This upgrade would be to P-4 standards, and would be indicated as such in the data 

if the tag is still attached.

phantomfixer

The majority, and this is not difinitive, of the MB4s have the USAF decal on the front of the helmet, and the the P series on the side..

as AMT states the quickest way is the webbing tag or data tag...I can't recall if the early helmets had a paper tag insid ethe helmet or if it was on the suspension webbing only...

At first sight, I'd say P-4A or P-4B as well, for the easiest way to tell a P-4 series from a MB-4 series is externally the presence / lack of visor and the decal's position, and this one has the P-4 series' visor and side decal. Apart from these small differences, they're basically the same shell, after all. Here's a fine insight on the MB-4 that could hopefully be of help.

Also, as AMT and Phatomfixer stated, I indeed remember having seen upgraded helmets of this era featuring a paper label to mention the change of nomenclature, unsure about the suspension webbing though, so searching on the inside might help. If no label available, a few close-ups of the headset and the side comm port could help refine our hypotheses.

The mask appears to be a USAF A-13A (or MS-22001) with loops on the rubber for strap retention, fitted wiht early hardshell and V-shaped 2-snap metal fasteners on each side, U-93/U comm cord and CRU-8/P O² connector, which seems a legit set for this kind of helmet and era.

Looks good anyway, complete and named. A darn nice find you've got there !

Not being an Air Force helmet aficionado I'm not sure what era this helmet is based on what I've seen so far. 

That said, these might be a couple of possibles as to whom the helmet belonged to.  Since XLIV appears to be from California, I'll start out with these. 

It would be helpful to know exactly what city and state the helmet was obtained in the yard sale.

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

Thanks for all the info fellas. I have moved to Idaho and the helmet was picked up in the pan handle of that state. 

its probably common to have the rubber supple but fragile...edges seem to have been brushed off. Not a prime specimen by any means but it is what it is and looks cool.

I will gently endeavor to find a tag and take a pic.

2 hours ago, XLIV said:

I have moved to Idaho and the helmet was picked up in the pan handle of that state. 

Being that you moved to Idaho and picked up the helmet in the panhandle of that state, I'd say it's a possibility the helmet came from this family.  The obituary states he lived in Sandpoint, ID and that his father was a pilot in the United States Air Force.  Even though it states William J. "Bill" Nance moved to Seattle, WA in 2000, his mother Marjorie showed to be living in Sandpoint at the time of the obituary.  The obituary states William's father's name was Richard Nance.  Some further checking found a Texas Marriage License from

January 21, 1945 showed that a Richard L. Nance married then Marjorie Richardson, so the helmet most likely belonged to Richard L. Nance.

n1.jpg

Ding ding, Sandpoint. 
Heres the closeups I promised..

as you can see the rubber has begun to deteriorate - I imagine thats not uncommon but still detracts from its value. Havent decided if it should decorate the man cave or maybe ebay.

cant thank you all enough for your time. 

7B7FD0DC-D897-450D-9C1A-857111432BF3.jpeg

8959FC10-235A-414D-B1D2-F9594FFF231A.jpeg

193BA42F-9B39-42AE-A18D-142801B05F9A.jpeg

E9A4E210-0B45-4CDA-BF2E-9816D8E131B9.jpeg

7F80A5B7-491A-4D89-9A27-7891D5A71AF6.jpeg

9E8C72D6-B6DA-4009-8A90-37EB0DEAC051.jpeg

2 hours ago, XLIV said:

Ding ding, Sandpoint. 
Heres the closeups I promised..

as you can see the rubber has begun to deteriorate - I imagine thats not uncommon but still detracts from its value. Havent decided if it should decorate the man cave or maybe ebay.

cant thank you all enough for your time. 

Cool, thanks for the confirmation on Sandpoint, Idaho and now it's confirmed as to whom it belonged to, Richard Lowell Nance.  That's great!  I think you should decorate the man cave with it myself.  -- Matt

Given the amazing ID job Aznation did, I think it's definitely a keeper, IMO.

In this state, and since the mask is the only issue with this set, if I were you I'd find a "naked" (without comm cords / hardshell) rubber MS-22001 / A-13A mask on the used market (they're not hard to find), and just swap the actual one with it after fixing the strap assembly. It'd definitely look great !