Does anyone know if CGF and MSA Gallet ever made any MICH helmets in in X-Large size?

Overwatch16

Overwatch16

I’m a Naval Special Warfare gear collector that’s been searching for an early MICH helmet made by either CGF or MSA Gallet specifically in X-Large size but I can never seem to find any. Does anyone on this forum know if the 2 Companies ever made the early MICH helmets in XL size? 

Hello Overwatch,

That answer is no.  CGF originally produced the MICH in two sizes only, Medium & Large.  That, with mixing two differing thickness sizes of helmet production suspension pads 3/4" (size 6), and 1" (size 8) were felt to fit most all head sizes.  When MSA purchased CGF it stayed the same initially with the "MSA Gallet" marked helmets during 2003 era.  The other sizes came into effect more during the writing of the Advanced Combat Helmet specifications of the 2004-2005 era. 

...I’ll add that there was a 1/2” thick pad (size 4) made also, though seldom seen used compared to the other two sizes. 

Overwatch16
3 hours ago, pump 150 said:

Hello Overwatch,

That answer is no.  CGF originally produced the MICH in two sizes only, Medium & Large.  That, with mixing two differing thickness sizes of helmet production suspension pads 3/4" (size 6), and 1" (size 8) were felt to fit most all head sizes.  When MSA purchased CGF it stayed the same initially with the "MSA Gallet" marked helmets during 2003 era.  The other sizes came into effect more during the writing of the Advanced Combat Helmet specifications of the 2004-2005 era. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but if a helmet specifically has “TC-2000” marked on it does that mean it was used by special operations troops while the other helmets marked without it are stardard issue? 

Only the early 1999-2002 era GCF are generally thought of as being "SOF" specific IMO, though the TC-2000's themselves were produced and used for years to come within SOCOM only as a rule.  By late 2003 onwards these shells were also being produced for Army issue under the Rapid Fielding Initiative to many forces actively deploying forward in the 2004-2005 period, before the ACH began production.  "MSA Gallet" and "MSA" marked TC-2000's were all part of the initial RFI as well.   

Overwatch16
34 minutes ago, pump 150 said:

Only the early 1999-2002 era GCF are generally thought of as being "SOF" specific IMO, though the TC-2000's themselves were produced and used for years to come within SOCOM only as a rule.  By late 2003 onwards these shells were also being produced for Army issue under the Rapid Fielding Initiative to many forces actively deploying forward in the 2004-2005 period, before the ACH began production.  "MSA Gallet" and "MSA" marked TC-2000's were all part of the initial RFI as well.   

It really sucks how they didn’t make the early MICH helmets in XL size, I was really hoping to find one because Large isn’t enough to fit my head, guess I’ll have to look for the later production helmets then. 

Just wondering if I may ask,  as a Naval Special Warfare gear “collector”, does it matter if it fits your head?  

Overwatch16

It may sound silly but it really does matter for me, even though collecting SEAL gear is my hobby, I’m actually very picky on the gear that I collect. For example since I’m looking for a MICH helmet, the markings on it must say “TC-2000” on it otherwise I’m not gonna want it. Another example, if I want to do a 2002 DEVGRU Operator impression, then the gear that I’m wearing must be made in the year 2002. I Just like to be really precise when I’m doing stuff like that. Hope that helps you understand.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:18 PM, Overwatch16 said:

It really sucks how they didn’t make the early MICH helmets in XL size, I was really hoping to find one because Large isn’t enough to fit my head, guess I’ll have to look for the later production helmets then. 

Have you tried an early helmet in Large with the thin pads?

saxecoburg

I wear XL in all things military headgear (hats etc). In the early 2000s I had a MICH, size "Large". With the standard pads it wouldn't fit me, but I ordered some of the size "4" pads and moved them around until it fit perfect. Later I picked up an XL ACH and it was just stupid big. too big, I stuck with the large size with thin pads

Overwatch16
9 hours ago, saxecoburg said:

I wear XL in all things military headgear (hats etc). In the early 2000s I had a MICH, size "Large". With the standard pads it wouldn't fit me, but I ordered some of the size "4" pads and moved them around until it fit perfect. Later I picked up an XL ACH and it was just stupid big. too big, I stuck with the large size with thin pads

I already tried the thin pads and it still didn’t do me any good so large is a no-no for me. I’m in the process of trying to get rid of my CGF helmet as I don’t have a reason to keep it anymore. It’s very unfortunate for me that the early MICH’s were never made in XL.

saxecoburg

Considering you're not wearing it for any actual protection, just leave the pads out all together. I'd rather have an accurate helmet, the correct year etc