Millard unmarked M1860 Saber

hink441

I recently obtained this nice D. J. Millard made sword. I know Millard made the smallest amount of contract swords for the US Government (approx 10,000 swords) but this sword has no inspector stamps at all. The sword has none and the scabbard has none.

All the Millard swords I have seen are inspector marked and dated 1862. Could this possibly be an early sword for this company?? Anyone seen this before??

Chris

151BDD8E-DC0F-42D3-9F85-CA632D0E00D2.jpeg

63D07E4D-F73C-4C15-BF60-19CA9E199715.jpeg

36DB7BC3-26C2-4DAB-9D10-6B9C58734497.jpeg

56BB896F-8FD6-4CCD-A951-9D7E5A602715.jpeg

My first thought would be that you have a sword made for a state contract or retail sale.  Not one of the Millard Cavalry swords made to fulfill the US Government contract.  Such a sword would not require a US Government inspection.  

Here is a similar Civil War period LIght Artillery sword without US Gov. inspection markings.  It is property marked to the Connecticut Militia however so this state contract sword did not require US Gov. inspection by Conn.  You will notice this Artillery sword and scabbard have matching serial numbers.  State Militia stands of arms will be found without US Gov. inspection markings but sometimes have state Militia property markings.  

Conn militia artillery sword.JPG

Conn militia artillery hilt.JPG

Conn militia artillery Ames marking.JPG

Conn militia Conn marking.JPG

Conn militia sword drag.JPG

Conn militia 40 markings.JPG

Spathologist

Millard only had the single 1861 contract with the Ordnance Department, because the the single experience was enough for him.  He chose not to pursue further contracts, partly because of the hassle, partly because the prices were falling.

He had, however, invested a lot of capital ($30,000 according to Thillmann) in the sword manufactory, even bringing in a cutler from Solingen to help stand it up.  Thillmann notes an advertisement for "Splended" Millard swords in 1863, so Millard apparently continued to produce swords.  But these were Millard blades mounted by Tiffany, so presumably not a trooper-grade Cavalry saber. 

Thillmann notes no State contracts for sabers.

So I think it's probably a contract overrun that was sold commercially.

I have heard that Millard had problems meeting the contract requirements and deadlines. If that is the case, would it be likely be had extra swords in inventory?

Just thinking out loud😁

I have also heard that Millards first 500 swords were purchased from another manufacturer and the markings for these first 500 swords are unknown. I wonder if this sword could possibly be from the first 500 swords??

Chris 

2 hours ago, SARGE said:

My first thought would be that you have a sword made for a state contract or retail sale.  Not one of the Millard Cavalry swords made to fulfill the US Government contract.  Such a sword would not require a US Government inspection.  

Here is a similar Civil War period LIght Artillery sword without US Gov. inspection markings.  It is property marked to the Connecticut Militia however so this state contract sword did not require US Gov. inspection by Conn.  You will notice this Artillery sword and scabbard have matching serial numbers.  State Militia stands of arms will be found without US Gov. inspection markings but sometimes have state Militia property markings.  

""Virginia also purchased 1200 Ames M1860 cavalry sabers in early 1860.  The initial shipments had only the "1860" date stamped on the obverse ricassowith no "U.S." or inspector initials.  Ames later received a memo from Chief of Ordnance Craig instructing them that the Virginia swords were to be inspected in the same manner as usual, and that Virginia would pick up the cost for the inspections. so subsequent shipments were so marked..     

image.png

Spathologist
1 hour ago, hink441 said:

I have heard that Millard had problems meeting the contract requirements and deadlines. If that is the case, would it be likely be had extra swords in inventory?

Just thinking out loud😁

I have also heard that Millards first 500 swords were purchased from another manufacturer and the markings for these first 500 swords are unknown. I wonder if this sword could possibly be from the first 500 swords??

Chris 

Thillmann lays out that same scenario, along with the fact that the US Government lowered the price paid from $8.50 to $7.00 each because Millard didn't actually produce the sabers.

Producing more than required under a contract is not uncommon; companies had to make up for any saber rejected under inspection.