3906th Combat Support Group (SAC) // Sidi Slimane AB, Fr. Morocco

yokota57

I really like the Moroccan made ones. All are very hard to come by. I have less than 10 in my collection. The workmanship is not great but they have "personality" all their own, and fit into a small window of AF history as those bases closed pretty quickly by the early 60s.

Randy

Steindaddie

Great looking patch from Sidi Slimane Air Base.

Sidenote: we went TDY there in 1983 from Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Most of us young guys were dumfounded to learn that Sidi was a former USAF base. Stayed in the old SAC barracks, got the old base swimming pool back in commission, poked around some B-47 wreckage, but alas, found no secret stash of patches.

No, I don't keep that area. I have fighter related ones like the 45 FIS (attached), 45 FDS, 324 FIS, 65 AD that I know off the top of my head. Like Steindaddie, I was at Side Slimane as well, in 1986. But we had to stay in tents and the pool was full of trash. I also came up short on patches!

Randy

45fis 2.jpg

37 minutes ago, Randy said:

No, I don't keep that area. I have fighter related ones like the 45 FIS (attached), 45 FDS, 324 FIS, 65 AD that I know off the top of my head. Like Steindaddie, I was at Side Slimane as well, in 1986. But we had to stay in tents and the pool was full of trash. I also came up short on patches!

Randy

45fis 2.jpg

Your beautiful 45th FIS is made by the same hand as most of my SAC-related Moroccan patches. I tried to find out his name through my contacts in the Moroccan Reunion Association but to many years have passed and nobody could recall his name.  yokota57

**ATTENTION bbmilitaria: I will post photos of the reverse sides of my Moroccan-made patches later tomorrow (4/28/21). I appreciate your interest! yokota57

• 6 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, Randy said:

One more I guess, 324 FIS Sidi Slimane 58-60.

324fis 2.jpg

Love the 324th patch.   Ive always wanted to find one of those and a 337th FIS patch to complete my FIS unit patches from Westover, AFB.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:45 AM, Randy said:

The one from Westover looks like the attached, US made.

Randy

324fis 1.jpg

Those might have been made outside the gate at Sentry Uniform that I believe is still in business today.  I went to their shop about 10 years ago to check it out, they had a number or repro patches they used to sell during the SAC years.