155th Aero Squadron (1st Day Bombardment Group)

cthomas

Just keeping the WWI Aviation them a goin' ;)

There is one officer seated at center & the rest appear to be enlisted.

In the first row of standing personnel, the fifth guy in from left side has what appears to be a white 'splotch' on his overseas cap. It's actually some type of cap insignia & not a fault with the negative. It's not a disk but more elongated, like a set of wings???

post-518-1233508033.jpg

Very interesting photo Chuck! Sure an interesting patch on the far left guy too. What do you reckon that on is?

Mark

Is this the guy you're talking about?

The only patches I see in this photo are the 155th sqdn as seen in the scan above. Got one more of that strange cap insignia I referred to in my initial post

-Chuck

Hey...now that I take a close look at the image showing the SSI, I can also see a strange insignia on his overseas cap as well.

post-518-1233515533.jpg

post-518-1233515596.jpg

The only patches I see in this photo are the 155th sqdn as seen in the scan above. Got one more of that strange cap insignia I referred to in my initial post

-Chuck

Hey...now that I take a close look at the image showing the SSI, I can also see a strange insignia on his overseas cap as well.

Oh yeah, now I can see it clearly. Thought for a minute there it might have been some weird 1st Army Aviation variation. Still, I like it anyway.

Mark

teufelhunde.ret

... and there is at least one more with that insignia present.

... and there is at least one more with that insignia present.

I'd sure love to get some feedback on it.

Could they be wings? The outer edge may suggest something along those lines.

And as you've already pointed out, there is at least one more cap with this insignia.

I'd also like to confirm if the 155th was part of a Day or Night Bombardment Group. I've seen it both ways. Did they serve with both?

• 11 years later...

I know this is an old post but I had to comment. My grandfather was a aircraft mechanic (fixed wood structures) in the 155th Aero Squadron in France. It was absolutely a night bombing squadron that flew De Havilland DH.4's with Liberty V-12 engines. The squadron was a member of a Bombing Group that happened to be titled with "Day Bombing", thus the confusion. Go's like this: 1st Pursuit Wing, 1st Day Bombardment Group, 155th Aero Squadron (night bombing) - the other bombing squadrons in the group were day bombing.

The photo's in your post are fantastic. I looked very closely and didn't see my grandfather, however it's possible he's there and I don't recognize him. I'm attaching his photo. The patch on his right shoulder designates the 155th Aero Squadron but is apparently not the squadron emblem. I'm wondering if the white 155 over white four bladed propeller on a dark background was used by enlisted men only. Take a look at this other post

The pilot uniform from that squadron has the white Up Arrow on his Left shoulder and no squadron patch on the right shoulder. The Up Arrow squadron emblem was probably also painted on the aircraft as well. I wonder what the red circle and white dot represent under the white Up Arrow? Whish I had a picture of those DH.4's from grandpas squadron. Anyway, take a look at the photo of grandpa, his right shoulder patch is very clear.

Horace O Sanford.jpg