PFC FB with Eckstein named 1943 Nu-Mode inc canteen set

shadawg

So, i really love junior grade marked helmets, and am super glad to have won this one. Both canteen and helmet came together, and will stay together, however, after looking over the helmet, I have come to the conclusion they likely were not issued together to the same person. the helmet is named to a Frank Kenyon, K-6100, comes out of Maine. There was a Frank Kenyon with a record from Maine, but the laundry number wasnt a match. The shell is a 162c mccord, with a quite nice mid war msa liner, and flat tab leather buckle. a neat surprise was the liner was also marked with the pfc chevron. i had never asked for any more pics from the seller, as i could still confidently tell it had a wartime finish from the small portion seen in the listing. Even though the canteen and helmet likely arent a match, that canteen truly is wonderful as well. close up magnified pics are done with my new digital microscope as well, which has had some really nice results. it is a Celestron handheld, and are available on amazon

DSC05799.JPG

DSC05801.JPG

DSC05803.JPG

DSC05802.JPG

DSC05804.JPG

DSC05805.JPG

DSC05806.JPG

DSC05807.JPG

DSC05808.JPG

DSC05809.JPG

DSC05812.JPG

DSC05792.JPG

210422221341391.jpg

210422221517850.jpg

210422221454100.jpg

210422221550290.jpg

Oh no D. You are getting scientific with it now? 🙄. LOL. 

Sweet pickup and the early matching MSA. It’s a great set. Was it listed as Ecksteins helmet because of the canteen label and then you discovered the Kenyon marking ? I think that’s cool actually. Bonus. 

Z

11 minutes ago, Paddyd00 said:

Oh no D. You are getting scientific with it now? 🙄. LOL. 

Sweet pickup and the early matching MSA. It’s a great set. Was it listed as Ecksteins helmet because of the canteen label and then you discovered the Kenyon marking ? I think that’s cool actually. Bonus. 

Z

it wasn't really listed as his helmet per se, only really the canteen. no known origin to how they are together. the other name in the helmet wasn't visible in the listing at all. but ye hah, i feel like in these days more than ever, a scientific approach is becoming more necessary, plus it is really fum to mess around with

2 hours ago, shadawg said:

plus it is really fum to mess around with

I agree ...adding new levels to an already enjoyable Hobby (lifestyle) that we love is great.  Be it this or a bit of amateur researching (I'm into now) or whatever else :)

Z

Burning Hazard

Nice set! I saw this one on eBay, glad it went to a forum member.

It looks like the pfc stripe was originally painted white then touched up.

Pat

Nice pickup! I really love sets with just a simple rank painted on the front.

How are you liking the Celestron? Seems a bit on the pricy side but your pics look clearer than what I can typically get with my handheld digital microscope.

Radio Operator

Great helmet! I like that the rank is on both the shell and liner, the microscope pictures are amazing probably the best ones I've seen from one.  

dhcoleterracina

Great buy. 

I often (after I received the item and am happy with it) send the seller a PM telling them how happy I am with the purchase etc but most importantly...do you have any history on the piece? Did they belong to a relative? Anything else from the guy? Some sellers refuse to respond, others respond with "estate sale" but occasionally the flood gates open with a detailed history of the item. It's a little like fishing. Costs nothing to throw out the line. 

16 hours ago, Burning Hazard said:

Nice set! I saw this one on eBay, glad it went to a forum member.

It looks like the pfc stripe was originally painted white then touched up.

Pat

im thinkin the same thing on the paint there, that it may have originally been done in white. it is evident really on the liner anyway

16 hours ago, 644td said:

Nice purchase and your photos are excellent. 

marty 

thanks a lot, i appreciate it

14 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

Nice pickup! I really love sets with just a simple rank painted on the front.

How are you liking the Celestron? Seems a bit on the pricy side but your pics look clearer than what I can typically get with my handheld digital microscope.

it is a little pricier than the cheap chinese ones you can get, but it comes with the stand, software, and is solidly constructed. ive had been told that the results are way better in comparison as well previously. i think its a pretty good investment

12 hours ago, Radio Operator said:

Great helmet! I like that the rank is on both the shell and liner, the microscope pictures are amazing probably the best ones I've seen from one.  

i really appreciate it, ye it was a nice surprise the liner was also marked similarly

12 hours ago, dhcoleterracina said:

Great buy. 

I often (after I received the item and am happy with it) send the seller a PM telling them how happy I am with the purchase etc but most importantly...do you have any history on the piece? Did they belong to a relative? Anything else from the guy? Some sellers refuse to respond, others respond with "estate sale" but occasionally the flood gates open with a detailed history of the item. It's a little like fishing. Costs nothing to throw out the line. 

indeed, i hadnt had too much luck from sellers as far as tracking the history, save one, that turned out it was his dads. name and genealogy checked out. seller turns out was in his 70's and stated his dad served in northern france