Unreal ebay pricing

dmar836

Not bogus but ridiculously high unless there is something special I can't see.

I was just looking at "sold" auctions and was surprised at how low wings were selling compared to actual asking prices but then I found these.

Dave

I'm on another forum that has a long thread that's just entitled "eBay sellers" that highlights "gems" like this. In this case overpriced items by clueless sellers.

Further, as someone located outside the US, it's a double whammy - attached is what I see (note the shipping);

1076281904_Screenshot2021-04-22073725.jpg.8c03d2b090a212e17e7504faee4a5d23.jpg

Just shake your head in bemusement (yet again) and move on.....unless someone here wants to buy one from me for US$600 and I'll send it via a well packed Quokka?

I can beat your price on a similar wing by half!

I think some sellers do this in hopes of an accidental click or an uninformed collector then might fight to hold them to it. It's as if they do everything they can at every juncture to ensure nobody will bid. But if they do!!!

Since eBay charges so little to list an item or relist an unsold item there is little skin in the game to dissuade such pros, 

dhcoleterracina

The big problem is that they will sit and sit and sit, just being re-listed when they don't sell. Some people are in no rush.  When someone else wants to sell some wings, they will look at this listing and think that's the going price. 

Case in point...I like WW2 Navy flags. They aren't rare but I love them.  There is a lady that has listed two WW2 Navy flags and she has one listed for $2900 and the other at $3900. They have been sitting there for YEARS and now, guess what? There are four or five or six listed at $2K, $3K, $4K...and they keep getting relisted.  The reality price for a 1943 dated Mare Island #7 ??? About $200 and I'd need to ask myself if I really need another one? 

Yeah, I hear it all the time, "These are going for $XXX." or occasionally people say, "They are asking $XXX for these." Neighbors, whoever. I always have to say, yeah that's what they are all asking but look and see what they are all really moving for. Goes for every hobby I'm in.

rathbonemuseum.com

Look at their sold items. Almost all are accepted offers so this is a person use to working in the context of nothing without a haggle! Though with those starting prices, why bother.

dhcoleterracina

I think that there should be a way to see how long something has been listed, there isn't to my knowledge. Also, when someone accepts a best offer, you don't see the accepted offer amount (unless something has changed recently).

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I wonder what their reasoning is.

They know how to research prices.

Bigger fool theory, there is always the hope that there is a bigger fool out there somewhere.  I’ve used this principle myself many times when making purchases. 

i have seen some website with prices 3 to 4 times higher just because the stamp of the maker, it makes such a difference ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not that much, no. The one is unmarked and the other is not a rare maker. It's just a thing. I guess some people have to pay so little to list things that they throw a big hook and just sit and wait for little to no extra cost while eBay advertises it for them. I'm sure it isn't their primary source of income so there little to lose. That's all I can guess.

20 hours ago, greek5bc said:

i have seen some website with prices 3 to 4 times higher just because the stamp of the maker, it makes such a difference ?

It can.  

Some makers had very low production numbers and hence are very hard to find.  Collectors, being what they are, often pursue variations.  The combination creates demand.

Yeah, if you decided to "collect 'em all" and "trade with your friends" there isn't much joy any more in a run-of-the-mill wing. Unfortunately, these he is selling are pretty run-of-the-mill.

Some day I might get to that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Further, as someone located outside the US, it's a double whammy - attached is what I see (note the shipping);

700 hundred for shipping?  Is he booking the wings on a United Airlines flight with a one way ticket first class?  Or perhaps he packs really well in a huge wood crate and sends the wings using ROADWAY.