Jump to content

USMC Campaign Credit for Guadalcanal - USMC ribbon bar


Recommended Posts

BANGMilitaria

Hey everyone.

 

Does anyone know if it was common for Marines to receive two campaign stars for service on Guadalcanal, and why that might be? I've seen at least one ribbon bar where a veteran who only served on the 'Canal received 2 campaign stars. Any info would be appreciated.

 

Have a good day!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
0811gysgt

Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester service most likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BANGMilitaria
1 hour ago, 0811gysgt said:

Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester service most likely.

 

For the uniform I saw, the veteran was WIA on Guadalcanal and spent the rest of the war in Hawai'i. But that's a possibility, I suppose. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
katieony

Marines, Sailors and Coast Guardsman were eligible for two stars for the Guadalcanal campaign: "Guadalcanal-Tulagi Landings, 7-9 August 1942" and "Capture and Defense of Guadalcanal, 10 August 1942-8 February 1943".

 

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
BANGMilitaria
1 hour ago, katieony said:

Marines, Sailors and Coast Guardsman were eligible for two stars for the Guadalcanal campaign: "Guadalcanal-Tulagi Landings, 7-9 August 1942" and "Capture and Defense of Guadalcanal, 10 August 1942-8 February 1943".

 

Mike

 

Thank you so much for that information! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kurt Barickman

Yes, have seen it many times on veteran acquired USMC ribbon bars to Guadalcanal; for both 1st and 2nd USMC Division veterans.

 

Kurt

Link to post
Share on other sites
BANGMilitaria
On 4/22/2021 at 11:04 AM, Kurt Barickman said:

Yes, have seen it many times on veteran acquired USMC ribbon bars to Guadalcanal; for both 1st and 2nd USMC Division veterans.

 

Kurt

 

Thank you, that makes sense as the uniform I saw was a 2nd Marine Division veteran.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kurt Barickman

Most people don’t know that there were various other landings not just Guadalcanal; Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, etc.

 

Kurt

Link to post
Share on other sites
BANGMilitaria
3 hours ago, Kurt Barickman said:

Most people don’t know that there were various other landings not just Guadalcanal; Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, etc.

 

Kurt

 

Yes, definitely some under appreciated battles there. A good friend of mine, who passed away last year, partook in several of those landings in the Solomons and lost a lot of friends on those islands. Thanks again for the info!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kurt Barickman

Anytime.

 

Kurt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.