USMC Campaign Credit for Guadalcanal - USMC ribbon bar

BANGMilitaria

BANGMilitaria

Hey everyone.

Does anyone know if it was common for Marines to receive two campaign stars for service on Guadalcanal, and why that might be? I've seen at least one ribbon bar where a veteran who only served on the 'Canal received 2 campaign stars. Any info would be appreciated.

Have a good day!

BANGMilitaria
1 hour ago, 0811gysgt said:

Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester service most likely.

For the uniform I saw, the veteran was WIA on Guadalcanal and spent the rest of the war in Hawai'i. But that's a possibility, I suppose. Thank you!

Marines, Sailors and Coast Guardsman were eligible for two stars for the Guadalcanal campaign: "Guadalcanal-Tulagi Landings, 7-9 August 1942" and "Capture and Defense of Guadalcanal, 10 August 1942-8 February 1943".

Mike

BANGMilitaria
1 hour ago, katieony said:

Marines, Sailors and Coast Guardsman were eligible for two stars for the Guadalcanal campaign: "Guadalcanal-Tulagi Landings, 7-9 August 1942" and "Capture and Defense of Guadalcanal, 10 August 1942-8 February 1943".

Mike

Thank you so much for that information! 

Kurt Barickman

Yes, have seen it many times on veteran acquired USMC ribbon bars to Guadalcanal; for both 1st and 2nd USMC Division veterans.

Kurt

BANGMilitaria
On 4/22/2021 at 11:04 AM, Kurt Barickman said:

Yes, have seen it many times on veteran acquired USMC ribbon bars to Guadalcanal; for both 1st and 2nd USMC Division veterans.

Kurt

Thank you, that makes sense as the uniform I saw was a 2nd Marine Division veteran.

Kurt Barickman

Most people don’t know that there were various other landings not just Guadalcanal; Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, etc.

Kurt

BANGMilitaria
3 hours ago, Kurt Barickman said:

Most people don’t know that there were various other landings not just Guadalcanal; Florida, Tulagi, Gavutu, etc.

Kurt

Yes, definitely some under appreciated battles there. A good friend of mine, who passed away last year, partook in several of those landings in the Solomons and lost a lot of friends on those islands. Thanks again for the info!