Last MOH Awardee from ETO Passes

BILL THE PATCH

tdogchristy90

Sad to hear. I think Hershel Williams is the last WW2 guy left. I’ve always found it sad to think this really will become history like the civil war and ww1. We’ll no longer have that direct link. I don’t know, as the last generation to really experience these guys (I’m in my 30s), I just find it heartbreaking really. 

BILL THE PATCH

I know what you mean, I grew up listening not only to ww2 vets, but I remember some ww1 vets in my old neighborhood, didn't really talk to them I was young. I knew who they were in though from the parades

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
USCapturephotos

Just came across this. Yes, it makes me really sad as well. I think about it all the time...slipping into the history books. Bound to happen but hard to watch  when it does.

Paul

Wow. It is like an era slipping away. Like @tdogchristy90 I'm the same decade, and I remember when we were little and there would be the occasional (very old) vet who was a Great War vet. WWII vets were normal, and there younger sons who were with them were KW vets. Now the KW vets are very old and their younger sons with them are Vn vets. Hardly see WWII vets anymore. Very sad. 

Does that mean there is only one more WWII MoH awardee alive?

General Apathy

Thanks Bill for starting this thread. . . . . . 

In 1989 I was invited to the Medal of Honor veterans convention in Albuquerque New Mexico by Ernest Childers Medal of Honor winner, I stayed in the same hotel  as all the recipients and it was there that I met Charles Coolidge MoH and obtained his signature, it's so sad that these veterans have all been passing away over the years, I recall him as very polite and a gentleman.

.fullsizeoutput_c0d8.jpeg.1e8f7824254ca9020113ef3dc365d9ac.jpeg 

regards lewis.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Thanks Bill for starting this thread. . . . . . 

In 1989 I was invited to the Medal of Honor veterans convention in Albuquerque New Mexico by Ernest Childers Medal of Honor winner, I stayed in the same hotel  as all the recipients and it was there that I met Charles Coolidge MoH and obtained his signature, it's so sad that these veterans have all been passing away over the years, I recall him as very polite and a gentleman.

regards lewis.

Matt Urban visited our area once, and I felt bad for him as he was basically being ignored by the people around him....So, I decided to go and converse with him....I mentioned how I had an uncle who killed during the war....He was clearly touched as he put his hand up towards his eye....My mother bought me a signed copy of his book and seems to me took a picture of us two together....Very memorable experience...Bodes