CIVIL WAR KITTRIDGE CARTIDGE BOX

A lady at work gave me this box yesterday. She picked it up at a garage sale for 50 cents. The woman she bought it from was using it for flowers. I am not positive which weapon it was used with, but an internet auction site said that it was used with the Henry. However, I can't find it in any of my sources. If any one has good documentation, please let me know the source!

post-203-1174043890.jpg

post-203-1174043900.jpg

post-203-1174043910.jpg

post-203-1174043920.jpg

Not a bad deal: one of these sold at auction (not Ebay) for $1,092.50! See http://www.cowanauctions.com/public/demo/p...sp?ItemId=29873

"These boxes were used to carry 44 rimfire cartridges, quite likely for the Frank Wesson carbine, and possibly the Henry rifle as well."

Another one of these sold for $977.50 at a Cowan's auction.

A history of the boxes at http://reviews.ebay.com/Kittredge-Bennett-...000000002196856 says

"B. Kittredge & Co of Cincinnati, Ohio was a merchant who was the principal agent for the Frank Wesson rifle, a breachloading metallic cartridge firing competitor to the Henry Rifle, see:The Historic Henry Rifle by Wiley Sword, p15. Apparantly Kitredge had an agreement with Bennett to manufacture and sell the Cartridge Boxes produced under the Bennett Patents as an accessory to the Wesson rifle. Since Kittredge's name is stamped on the box Bennett's name was lost to history. The 44 Henry cartridge, also metallic, was also adaptable to the Kittredge Box and was used as an accessory to the Henry Rifle. The irony in the latter association, as noted in Wiley Sword's book, is the fact that Oliver Winchester, principal stockholder in the New Haven Arms Company that produced the Henry Rifle, refused to sell Henrys to Kittredge because of his promotion of the Wesson Rifle. History is just full of ironies!

Thanks F.S.! Definetly a good day at work! The lady who had the garage sale had one expensive flower pot!!!

I have never ran across one before. Not in a reference book or at a CW show. I am shocked at the price! I'll have to find some books on the Henry and see if it gives more details Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

Since we have some other members interested in 19th century miltiaria, I thought I would bring this back up for discussion.

As I mentioned previously, this was bought at a garage sale in central Indiana. In the 1869 Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, a summary of actions taken by the state during the Civil War is written. In response to the threat of Morgan's force coming to Indiana, 800 Smith & Wesson carbines were purchased from B. Kittredge & Co for the state militia. The Ordanace Report shows that the state has on hand in 1869, 716 Kittredge (Smith & Wesson) carbines, 716 cartridge Boxes for the Smith & Wesson carbines and 716 pouches for the Smith & Wesson carbine. Also on hand is 56,000 carbine cartridges (Kittredge).

Since I still have not seen a photo of this box in use, would this be considered the cartridge box or cartridge pouch? Also, does anyone have a good photo of the carbine that was most likely purchased by the state?

Interesting find. Good luck finding proof that it is one of or one of the same type of cases used by those troops. Where in IN are you? I wish I would have found it!

Dustin

Interesting find. Good luck finding proof that it is one of or one of the same type of cases used by those troops. Where in IN are you? I wish I would have found it!

Dustin

Hi Dustin,

I am down in Indy, but it was found in Anderson. It took me quite awhile to talk the women who found it into parting with it.

Hi Dustin,

I am down in Indy, but it was found in Anderson. It took me quite awhile to talk the women who found it into parting with it.

I'm from Brownsburg (just west of Indianapolis), but currently live in Bloomington. Do you know of any good surplus stores or other places to get militaria around Indianapolis?

Dustin

I'm from Brownsburg (just west of Indianapolis), but currently live in Bloomington. Do you know of any good surplus stores or other places to get militaria around Indianapolis?

Dustin

Dustin,

I have found very few surplus stores in the Indy area. THere is supposed to be a large on (Sarge's?) near Columbus, but I haven't gotten there yet. If I can think of any, I will send a PM to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Beast,

That is one rare beast and a real good day at work , which is rare too. I have attached a scan from Flayderman's catalog of the carbine marked to Kittredge and a little info on them. If you do a search the carbine is called a Two-Trigger Frank Wesson carbine. Good luck on your search.

Mitch

post-592-1243786627.jpg

DwightPruitt

Dustin

Dustin,

Does Larry Stewart still have his gun store on the Square in Bloomington? It used to have some militaria in there, but stay away from the TR items.

As far as Indy goes, the surplus stores aren't worth going to. In fact, for a city this size, the militaria scene is sparse. I've lived here all my life and there are a lot of collectors but not much in the way of available goods. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Since it is the sesquicentennial of the American Civil War, and its been a couple of years since this was discussed, I thought I would bring it back to the top and see if any members have more information on this odd little box.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has a photo of this box in use and would share it here!

Civil War era is not my thing but, for some odd reason I find this to be a very unique and interesting item. Of course, you already know this is a unique item so, I haven't helped you out at all have I? :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

Dustin

I have been doing more research on the Kittredge cartridge box. Found a solid clue to answer pezboy's message.

In 1863,when Confederate General John Hunt Morgan crossed into Indiana, the state was short of supplies. Kittredge wired the governor and offered him 800 of the Wesson carbines. The governor accepted them and they were shipped for use by the Indiana Legion, a state militia. These weapons continued to be on the state's inventory into the 1870s.

Kittredge's message to the Governor

post-203-0-74316600-1441914799.jpg

I'm making an assumption that the boxes were provided with the weapons and ammunition. Hopefully further research will positively confirm this. The 1867 Adjutant General's report list 716 cartridge boxes for the Kittridge (sic) carbines.