Ashtray

willysmb44

As a former Ordnance officer, I have collected a few ORD branch items for obvious reasons. It's not my main collecting focus but after thinking on it, I do have quite a bit of those items.

Anyway, today, I saw this at a local place and couldn't resist:

OrdAshtray.jpg

It's cast aluminum and hollow in the back. Apparently there is residue of some red paint, but I don't know if it was painted back then or if this is residue from something else.

I put the original ORD insignia (all "screwback" early war ones, still on the cards) in the photo for scale to show how big it is. I've had the insignia for a long time now...

cool find! thumbsup.gif

Ashtrays used to be a pretty popular souvenir item for servicemen wherever their travels took them. I think they make neat collectibles although it doesn't seem we see many of them on the forum. Thanks for sharing!

Here is my ashtray,managed to aquire this from General Apathy a.k.a. Lewis some years ago,had to twist his arm a couple of times...........517th

post-401-1233518976.jpg

Ashtrays used to be a pretty popular souvenir item for servicemen wherever their travels took them. I think they make neat collectibles although it doesn't seem we see many of them on the forum.
Here's another one I've had for a while, I really like this one as I own a 1944 Jeep and spent some time around the battlefield of Holland in the late 80s:

AshtrayHolland1944.jpg

I also have some marble bookends made for a ORD corporal in Italy in 44, extremely well made and marked. I need to get them out and get some photos of them eventually along with my other ORD-marked stuff...

It would be very interesting to start a thread on the "Art" of war. To include ashtrays like these, paintings that are period done, trench art and other artistic endeavors that came out of conflict and other military related souvenir items.

I have a few pounds of trench art brass as well as some panels that I salvaged from an NCO club from WWII that was being torn down back in the 70's.

Johan Willaert
Here's another one I've had for a while, I really like this one as I own a 1944 Jeep and spent some time around the battlefield of Holland in the late 80s:

AshtrayHolland1944.jpg

Funny, Lee, as I have an exact same one bought in Holland many years ago....

Funny, Lee, as I have an exact same one bought in Holland many years ago....
Pretty neat, isn't it? I guess it would make sense that a few of these survived. I never would have thought that things like these would be dated but now I've noticed that many of them were. I guess as they had no idea how much longer the war would last at the time, they wanted to be sure that someone would later know it was when the shooting was going on and not a long time afterward. Still why Pink, of all colors? You think that coloration like Delft pottery would have been pretty common, but PINK? I'm also a little baffled that the Dutch were able to get production up and running on something as trivial as this, considering the state of the economy and infrastructure in 1944. I guess pottery places made these to keep the employees fed?

Maybe someone should start an ashtray thread here. think.gif