6th Machine Gun Battalion Badge USMC WW1

nchistory

Any way to date this ER badge other than inscribed date?  Id’ed to Frank Oliver McNaughton Company C, 6th MG Battaluon. He qualified ER in June 1918 while with the 7th Company in France. Is this an “in country” inscription?  Doesn’t appear jeweler engraved, yet it’s that beaded hand engraving you often see on military artwork of the time ie: trench art canteens, and mess gear. Any information  is greatly appreciated.

8A898DA3-3EE2-4452-8558-65A1221B8093.jpeg

D2E792EA-7DBD-4E20-B0C8-84E4A38958D4.jpeg

C682A43F-CA2C-4B43-9B35-D3A90B496314.jpeg

1FD48B1A-BFCE-4434-98A3-3602DCFD17A0.jpeg

Can’t help you on the inscription, style, etc., but man is that a nice badge! I suspect you are correct and it was done “in country, or in the field”. 

22 minutes ago, warguy said:

Can’t help you on the inscription, style, etc., but man is that a nice badge! I suspect you are correct and it was done “in country, or in the field”. 

Thanks War Guy. 

51 minutes ago, warguy said:

Thanks War Guy. 

EF0F029E-C422-4FDB-AE4F-E4FF4C7CABC3.jpeg

Trying to find which campaigns McNaughton served. 

The 6th MGB site list Blanc Mont and Meuse-Argonne.  The Milwaukee Public Library list engagements in Champagne and Meuse-Argonne Campaigns.  Looking on ancestry muster rolls it appears he didn’t he to the 6th until Oct. 30, 1918, and in Oct served as an orderly for “SD” HQ 2nd Division AEF.  Any ideas on (SD)?  Second Division?  Can anyone provide further information on McNaughton, all help is greatly appreciated.

From 6th MGB site.

Pvt. Frank O. McNaughton, USMC

77th Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion

Photograph (taken while assigned to the 2nd Co. 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Brigade, Marine Barracks, League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia PA, November 21st, 1916) of Pvt. Frank O. McNaughton, 7th Co. (USMC) AEF Headquarters, Chaumont, France, HQ's, and 77th MG Co (C). 6th Machine Gun Battalion (USMC), Participated in The Battle of Blanc Mont Ridge, The Meuse-Argonne Offensive and with the 3rd U.S. Army Occupation of the Koblenz Bridgehead, Germany in 1919.

Thanks to Steven Girard.

Very nice grouping. I don’t think SD is Second Division, perhaps Supply Depot? As I am sure you know if muster rolls show him coming to 6th MGB on October 30, then he was with another unit if he participated in Blanc Mont which was in the first week of October. He likely participated in the Meuse River offensive beginning November 1 though Armistice. Here is a quick shot of that Battalion on the steps of the Capitol when they got home...August 12, 1919. I am sure he is in there somewhere. Also a souvenir 6th MGB sham from France. They were a hard fought unit.

55045CB6-57A6-4F14-9A55-D8062F25507E.jpeg

4B937D6E-6C3B-477C-81F4-D99850B7CD11.jpeg

Weird, I am not seeing him listed on the Fourth Brigade roster, although I have heard that is not entirely complete. 

20 minutes ago, warguy said:

Very nice grouping. I don’t think SD is Second Division, perhaps Supply Depot? As I am sure you know if muster rolls show him coming to 6th MGB on October 30, then he was with another unit if he participated in Blanc Mont which was in the first week of October. He likely participated in the Meuse River offensive beginning November 1 though Armistice. Here is a quick shot of that Battalion on the steps of the Capitol when they got home...August 12, 1919. I am sure he is in there somewhere. Also a souvenir 6th MGB sham from France. They were a hard fought unit.

55045CB6-57A6-4F14-9A55-D8062F25507E.jpeg

4B937D6E-6C3B-477C-81F4-D99850B7CD11.jpeg

That’s beautiful man, thanks for sharing. It says per Steven Girard  that he was on a special detail as orderly with headquarters second division 

15 minutes ago, mars&thunder said:

SD might be Sanitary Detachment (the medical guys).

Just got word from historian with 4th Brigade says it’s special detail. 

22 minutes ago, warguy said:

Weird, I am not seeing him listed on the Fourth Brigade roster, although I have heard that is not entirely complete. 

I wish he was listed, I’m looking for more info.