US military marked Colt Single Action Army build 1875

Hi I thought to share my military colt revolver, it is a military marked Colt SAA made in 1875, inspected by Johnson, matching numbers, in very good condition, the colt is on top of an 1880 dated 5 button sack coat marked 1880 QM Jeffersonville , and some other original equipment, including an 1880s hunting knife, holster, and more.

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4839.JPG

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

BlueBookGuy

hello,

what a great set! And, that SAA with such a low s/n is super-appealing...  look at its condition, the right amount of wear/patina without any abuse. Also, holster/belt/ pouch/knife are in super-shape.

Please just one question, are the colors in the first picture the actual ones?  If so, it looks to me like chevrons' yellow is quite the darker hue being adopted not prior to summer 1887. Maybe a blouse made in 1880 in plain configuration (and I believe, having two inside pockets?), then fitted with the six smaller sleeve buttons after 1885, and eventually with those newer Sergeant's chevrons?

However should it be just a lighting wrong effect, please don't consider my thoughts. Franco.

That is a spectacular collection.  Would it be ok to ask to see a few more pics of that 1880 hunting knife?  Thank you.

Hi here is a picture of the Colt SAA , the M1880 hunting knife and a 1873 intrenching knife, there is a chip missing from the edge of the knife

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Hi BlueBookGuy here is a picture of the sack coat chevrons in natural daylight, the previous pictures were made in a lightbox, the coat has got indeed 2 inside pockets, but only 2 cuff buttons instead of 3

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

BlueBookGuy

Quite interesting !!  Basic design w/ two pockets runs from late 1874 to 1889, and blouses as for themselves almost saw no important changes in that timeframe.  Together with those gauntlets put under the regulation waist belt it reallymakes a great display.

I've got presently a M-1890 blouse, #1 Pattern (one inside pocket, left side) w/ Cavalry Corporal chevrons, a relatively rare specimen   -   not more than 2,005 of this subvariation, all made from June to early August 1890. But no hope at all for a martial Colt SAA to put inside the holster, so I reverted to a martial Schofield.  Actually an Italian gunshop owner a couple years ago had proposed me with a martial SAA from 1886, in good shape (but, decidedly less than your's), price in my opinion approached a non-sense even if speaking of such handguns.

Not a bad display however, if putting all the 5-6 items together.

Thanx  -  Franco.

56 minutes ago, CW_Guy said:

Hi here is a picture of the Colt SAA , the M1880 hunting knife and a 1873 intrenching knife, there is a chip missing from the edge of the knife

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Spectacular 1880 hunter.  Sheathe looks to be in good shape too.

Hi Franco,, Thanks  , yes I have seen your posts on your Cavalry collection , you have some really nice goodies, I really like them, here is a pic with my schofield added

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

Just now, Blacksmith said:

Spectacular 1880 hunter.  Sheathe looks to be in good shape.

Thank you, yes it is and nicely marked, there is a small chip missing from the edge of the blade, probably has seen hard use.

I wish we had more posts in this particular forum section.  I don’t have anything to share from this era, but sure do enjoy seeing it.

Hard to not think of the movie “Hostiles”.

Really nice collection CW Guy, thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...