Heller wings

Any red flags on this one? I'm just now dipping my toe into maker marked wings. The hallmark looks maybe a bit sloppy but that's the only red flag to me. Thanks!

4a8b1999cbceeec7cd0bd6de5a6e3ba8.jpg

a581e7cf93321e3dab58a34c3de781bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a Good example.  Also, accepted to be a WW2 period wing.

Thanks!

I have always thought that these Jack Heller hallmarked paratrooper wings were post war despite being solid back and pin back.   I found something on the Internet (see link) regarding the Jack H. Heller Jeweler, Inc. having filed for dissolution on October 8, 1985 after 35 years and 6 months in operations if I read this right.  So if you do the math this puts the companies beginnings post war in 1950.   

https://www.bizapedia.com/ny/jack-h-heller-jeweler-inc.html

I have always thought that these Jack Heller hallmarked paratrooper wings were post war despite being solid back and pin back.   I found something on the Internet (see link) regarding the Jack H. Heller Jeweler, Inc. having filed for dissolution on October 8, 1985 after 35 years and 6 months in operations if I read this right.  So if you do the math this puts the companies beginnings post war in 1950.   

https://www.bizapedia.com/ny/jack-h-heller-jeweler-inc.html

That's very interesting based on some numbers we know.

Paratrooper.be states:

"The US Army changed to clutch back in late 1944 for all wings, badges etc. However many manufacturers continued to make pin back until the start of the Vietnam era. The pin back badges were sold in Base and Post Exchanges as these are considered private sales and not government contract.

The Army has never stopped issuing the WWII design which is still in use today. But by 1950 they were issuing only clutch backs. During the Vietman era they moved to the plated badges and by 1974 silver filled were no longer issued.

From the Institute of Heraldry, he got this reply: “We have the Military Specification Sheet which is dated 25 September 1964 for the US Army Parachutist Badge. The material was Sterling Silver.”

The military specification sheet dated 11 July 1968: the material was changed to 1/20 Silver filled (Front Only) over a commercial copper base alloy for the non-subdued badges, and Red Brass was used for the subdued badges.” Steve himself was issued this type of Parachutist Badge in 1970 (see photo).

The military specification sheet dated 10 February 1988: the material was changed to Red Brass or Nickel Silver. The brass was finished with a nickel plate, then silver plated with an oxidized, relieved matte finish. There was an option for commercial sale only using Sterling Silver.

This means no Sterling silver wings were issued after 11 July 1968. Although there was some silver after the change on 10 February 1988, to say that they were silver plated is a stretch, but this does make it confusing to properly date jump wings marked ‘Sterling’."