Sealed Tin of 600 Rounds June 1944 Repacked Colt .45 Ammo

amberg1853

So I was helping my brother move and came across this tin of 600 sealed cartridges.  He no longer has his .45 so wanted me to sell it for him,  got a couple boxes from another opened tin for my collection.  Bought from Sportsman's Guide back in the day when they were selling them, any idea on a value?  I know ammo prices are crazy but this is corrosive ammo and still shoots fine, some think leave the tin sealed but others sell the boxes individually. Just curious what others might think, thanks for your time!  Brian

IMG_0386 (1).JPG

IMG_0388 (1).JPG

Charlie Flick

Amberg:

This 77-year old ammo is indeed corrosive, which might bother some potential buyers but not others who know how to deal with corrosive primed ammunition.  This ammo is steel cased with steel jacketed bullets, based upon the codes I see.  Evansville Chrysler made mountains of this ammo during the War so it is not scarce from a collector's perspective. Because the spam can is damaged the whole package has less appeal to a collector.  Thus, if you are intent on selling in my opinion it probably behooves you to open the can and sell the boxes individually.  

This ammo would appeal to both collectors and shooters.  Ammo prices seem to have stabilized but are still high.  Remington's Arkansas ammo plant is now back in 24/7 operation having been sidelined due to the bankruptcy.  All of the other ammo makers in the USA are operating full blast.  Thus, I foresee a gradual weakening in the high ammo prices experienced over the past year.  My guess is that pricing this stuff at $40 a box would see it sell pretty quickly.

I hope that is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie

Showing my age but I used to buy original  50 rd boxes of 45 ammo, for $8-10 a box. and  there was a lot of it around then. But I was only making about $120 a week then...Kind of balanced things out I guess...

FWIW, at local gun show this weekend same sealed tins but LATER date, seller want $599.00 / tin. Charlie said it best as it’s steel and corrosive so good for display.