Mildred Inez C. Bailey Photo

patches

Came across this photo from 1972 of Brigadier General Mildred Inez C. Bailey (At far right) at I think in Brussels along with the other heads of the Armed Forces' Woman's Services.

20190201_C_08037-12.JPG

What peeked my interest is that she looked damn familiar, I knew I seen a photo of her before.

And here she is in Shelby Stanton's Uniforms of the Cold War in an undated official photo modeling one of the WACS Officers uniforms

wedd0005.jpg

Bailey as we see is her married name, Caroon was her maiden name, she married a Marine Corps NCO in WWII, 1943, she was already in the Army, he evidently stayed in the marines and at the time he tragically died in a car crash in 1966 was a Sergent Major E-8, interested to know the circumstances of their marriage, like when could they set up house right, they being in different branches of the service. This is the second female officer I found who married an enlisted man, I always thought this was prohibited back then, maybe even today, don't know info is murky.

Like here's two articles in the modern era, an male officer gets burned for marrying an enlisted woman. and visa versus. Maybe someone can elucidate, if it is frowned upon now, wouldn't of it been frowned upon in WWII and the 60s?.

https://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-takes-action-against-kadena-officer-married-to-enlisted-wife-1.2054

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-05-13-mn-3401-story.html

Here's the other female officer I found who was married to an EM, in this case both from the Air Force.

See Post #994

18 hours ago, patches said:

Came across this photo from 1972 of Brigadier General Mildred Inez C. Bailey (At far right) at I think in Brussels along with the other heads of the Armed Forces' Woman's Services.

20190201_C_08037-12.JPG

Whoops make that FAR LEFT, General Bailey is on the far left.