Eickhorn Bayonet 2000 1st Official USMC Only Bayonet 1 of 50

bobcat87

I decided to present this thread to give information and insight into the RAREST, Shortest-Lived, Officially Sanctioned Bayonet in Marine Corps History.  

This information was obtained from various sources on the net and combined into one thread to give a concise description and photos of this monumental Marine Corps first. It is 1 of only 50 ever produced.  All credit is given to Knife Notes 5 through 9 of Frank Trzaska, posts on this forum, and Bill Porter for his amazing find back in 2009. I recently purchased this fantastic bayonet from Frank and applaud his relentless pursuit to bring to the world information that otherwise may have been lost to history. In the pictures that follow, you will see the first USMC official bayonet EVER chosen by the Corps for the Corps. It has inextricably inserted itself into Marine Corps legend and lore. Without further delay, I present the USMC Eickhorn Bayonet 2000.

DSCN1122.JPG

DSCN1123.JPG

DSCN1125.JPG

DSCN1126.JPG

DSCN1129.JPG

DSCN1133.JPG

DSCN1131.JPG

I have chased this bayonet for almost 20 years. I feel very fortunate that my search has finally paid off. The above flyer was drafted by me from info available on the net. Please post any corrections if my info is incorrect.  As I stated earlier, all credit is given to those who have posted and written about this before me. Many thanks to Frank for his letter and info to forever document this historic bayonet!

I'm sure there are just a few of us here on the forum that have been fortunate enough to acquire one of these.  I got mine from Frank in 2014.  The word rare is tossed around quite a bit, but in this case, the USMC Bayonet 2000 is truly a rare piece.  Congratulations. 

Marv

resized_IMG_0025.JPG

Very nice Marv.  I wonder how many bayonets Bill Porter actually located when he purchased his small batch. Has he ever said on the forum? How many did Frank get back then from Bill? I never asked him.  I wonder if there are any more of that original batch still to be had... Yours is nicer than mine.  Looks like it has never been in the scabbard. This is one that would be really difficult to obtain again. I think whoever has them will sit on them for a long time. I know that I intend to.  Has anyone ever heard if there is one in a museum?

If anyone else has any additional info or if there are any other examples, please post for all to see. I would love to see how many we can reunite on this forum.

Pretty sweet bayonet!  I was curious about how many others might've sold and what kind of prices they went for, as well as how often they come up for sale on eBay, etc., so....

b1.jpg

b1a.jpg

Many years ago, I bought a mint in the box Bren Dan M4.  I could not resist putting it in the scabbard.  After seeing the result, I promised myself never to do that again.   You are right, this one has not been in the scabbard and I hope never will.  We are very fortunate to have this forum, because you are not likely to find any more information about this USMC bayonet 2000 than right here. Between Frank Trzaska and the late Bill Porter, and their involvement with the post production history of this bayonet, there is no better place than right here.

Marv

My opinion is this.  It is the rarest USMC official bayonet in history.  Therefore, it is the most expensive bayonet in Marine Corps History. All it takes is time. In order for me to sell, it would take a pile of 1918 Mark 1 knuckle knives. Value is subjective.  

This bayonet has a great story.  All of the controversy and scandal tends to add fuel to the fire.  It is what killed the product.  With other collectibles, it is the great story and the importance of the item that dictates price. The extremely limited quantity also fuels it. I view this bayonet as the "King" of all USMC bayonets. It has all of the necessary components.  As we all know, USMC items bring a premium over other military items. This is no different. I realize this already.  The market will too. 

Thank you Matt. That is my point exactly.  When this bayonet becomes common knowledge among all collectors the value will then be realized.  All that it needs is for the tale to be told and for the story to be in front of the right eyes. It needs to be published in books and magazines repeatedly.  This bayonet is what it is.  It is the rarest official USMC bayonet in history.  This bayonet is still "new" in many respects.  Not everyone has heard about them. 

Marv I agree.  The the late Bill Porter and Frank are as much a part of the history as the bayonet itself.  How Bill stayed on the the company rep and how Frank has been a major source of info and involvement is undisputable.  These guys are so important to the story and the hobby itself.  Just think what the story will be like 50 years from now when future generations read about the first USMC bayonet.  Everyone will want one for their collection.  It is the type of story that becomes legend and USMILITARIAFORUM is the place that helped make it known.

Thanks AZ for the research.  It seems the last sales at those locations were from 2019.  Now certain bayonets are selling for in excess of $2500 for real rarities.  Now, common Lancay M9 first contract bayonets are listed for $500-$600.  Listing is not getting, but the thinking is going in that direction.  Just think about how popular the M9 has become in the past several years.  What value could be assigned to the USMC Bayonet 2000?

Didn't even know this bayonet existed. Now I kind of want one, but guessing the price is going to be up there with a V-42. If that is the case I would probably rather have a V-42, but it is a cool bayonet for a modern one. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Capt14k, If you want one just start looking.  Never assume a price.  Just as you may not have known about it, others may not either.  I have found items before on the favorite auction site for prices you would not believe. Look at gun and knife shows, flea markets, and yard sales.  I bought a 1949 Camillus Mil-K for $200 and it is a fine example and a very scarce knife.  Go for what you want and be determined.  Bill Porter supposedly purchased a "small batch" of these bayonets.  How many was that??  Someone got the rest of them.  Maybe the next will be you. The pursuit is the fun in collecting.  I wonder how many V-42s have been had for less than $500?  I bet there are some out there that found them for that price and possibly even less...

Capt14k, If you want one just start looking.  Never assume a price.  Just as you may not have known about it, others may not either.  I have found items before on the favorite auction site for prices you would not believe. Look at gun and knife shows, flea markets, and yard sales.  I bought a 1949 Camillus Mil-K for $200 and it is a fine example and a very scarce knife.  Go for what you want and be determined.  Bill Porter supposedly purchased a "small batch" of these bayonets.  How many was that??  Someone got the rest of them.  Maybe the next will be you. The pursuit is the fun in collecting.  I wonder how many V-42s have been had for less than $500?  I bet there are some out there that found them for that price and possibly even less...
You are right. Finding something rare and valuable at a cheap price is one of the best parts of collecting IMO. I just bought a rare matching FN IDF Mauser in original 8mm for half the price of what non matching 7.62NATO examples sell for. Bill is in some of the same groups on other sites as I am. I will have to ask him about them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Must have missed this thread initially. Bill P. was keeping tabs on the lone guy whom was assembling the bayonets for Eickhorn. Behind the USMC decision to acquire this bayonet, they were looking for something "wow & now", that could be purchased "off the shelf", rather than going through a drawn-out trials and acceptance procedure. With the classic ergonomic contoured grip and a good blade shape (looking surprisingly similiar to the OKC-3FT which evolved into the OKC-3S),  The Corps opted to go for it. Of course, once it got out the USMC did not issue a solicitation for this acquisition and politicians got involved, the Eickhorn BK 2000 was finito. I recall Bill calling to inform me the Eickhorn rep was offering the assembled bayonets for sale, so I contacted him immediately and got The Corps adopted pattern with EGA on the blade. A couple other collectors I know got wind of these but missed out on getting a bayonet bearing the EGA...undoubtedly the first to get snapped up. In addition, the USMC had no interest in a wire-cutting pattern like the M9 whatsoever.