What 2 blades would you carry for SHTF scenario?

Boy Howdy

Not sure of the appropriate nomenclature for the top knife, but it was what the German troops were issued at the time. The knife has a 1968 date on it. I felt that I needed a nice sturdy knife I could use in the field and most all the knives that I liked at the PX were beyond my budget. I found this one locally to our Kaserne in a second hand store for about 20 Marks (10 bucks or so) so I bought it! 

3 hours ago, SKIPH said:

As I recall kfields knife was known as "Bundewiese" oe something close to it.  SKIP

You may be on to something. Here's a pic of the other side with the "BW" mark on the handle. 

Knife1.JPG

The Bundeswehr knife look like a good overall size to have and it appears to be pretty sturdy.  Thank you everyone for identifying it.

11 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

I'l go with this one... M7 for size comparison.

Its like holding a heavy hammer.

That's a cool Estwing.  I've never seen that one before.  Looks pretty handy and if it's like any of the Estwing made products it should be built to last for sure.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, phantomfixer said:

I would grab the M9 bayonet and first generation leatherman

It is really hard to do better than the M9, in my opinion.  

As much as nostalgia wants me to say a MKII "Kabar", the M9 is the more practical choice - especially being unsure how zombie blood might affect leather.

I'll pull an old Dungeons & Dragons swindle, and say that the Leatherman wouldn't count as my second knife; but I would still definitely carry one. :)

My second knife would be a folder, for lesser SHTF utility situations.  I'm thinking something 4" or so, half-serrated, from a quality maker.

Wow that Estwing should be called the "Zombie Killer"!

I keep my Benchmade auto on me and I would take one of my WWII WI Vocational knives along as a "camp knife" and to keep the collection alive . I too keep a couple in the car at various strategic places, but technically those are "seat belt cutters" so they also don't count!

Persian Gulf Command

Letting history teach a lesson.  This is a replica of a Viking Battle Ax.  I would trust those that knew from experience the most practical shape of the blade, correct weight, and length of the handle. 

Viking Ax.jpg

• 4 months later...

Since I started this thread my "collection?" has had additions and subtractions.

Now I would have to chose from this group of more practical items.

I will take the tomahawk as my free machete but that's the only definite choice.

I see now 2 knives will never be enough. LOL

Gerber multi tool

Spyderco Rescue

EK M4

USMC Kabar with newly added Aussie knuckle guard

Randall 3-5

SAK one handed para?

IMG_20210918_080705333.jpg